29. Chardonnay

18+ warning for the end of the chapter

--

"Wait, so you guys buy stuff just for you as well?"

He pops a strawberry in his mouth, leaning back into my couch to answer my question. "Not everyone does, it's just a project I've been working on independently for years."

"So it's just for you, not going to be sold?"

"I don't know yet. It's a smaller bike, so it'd be better suited for a woman." He raises his eyebrows at me. "Maybe I should teach you to drive."

My heart leaps at the thought of us having a future. "I don't know about that. I've only ridden once before, I feel like I have to do that more."

"Oh?" He grins. "If you want a ride, all you have to do is ask."

I roll my eyes at the innuendo. "You're annoying."

"Mm, sure."

"So does June hate that you go?" I change the subject.

He shrugs one but shoulder. "I don't think she really notices. Obviously mom was much grumpier this weekend and I feel guilty because June doesn't understand her mom would rather whore around then be with her." Blade grits his teeth.

Okay, this definitely wasn't the best topic to change to.

I scoot closer to him, careful to not slosh my wine. "I know it's hard right now, but it's not permanent."

His eyes, a stunning blue-grey that look like a stormy sea, as an emotion I can't describe flickers through. "Mercedes isn't going to take another weekend off, so when we go to Chicago she's staying with my mum."

I feel my eyes widen. He's never talked about her before, I wasn't even sure if either of his parents still lived. "Oh? Where does she live?"

"Couple hours away. She doesn't get to see June very much so she's excited."

"Well that's awesome." I gush. "I bet June will love that."

"Yeah June's a big fan of grandmum but it's hard because she's handicapped and can't do much with her." His eyes turn almost black, anger smothering his features and I swallow the next question I have. Probably no relationship with his dad, then.

"Let's change the subject." He spits out before I can say anything else.

"I'm sorry." This is Blade. Confusing, layered, moody Blade. Don't expect otherwise. "I didn't mean to.."

"It's fine."

I cringe at his harsh shut down, backing up an inch.

He softens a bit, pulling me into him. "I didn't mean to snap at you ...I just don't talk about my family."

"It's okay, family is hard sometimes.." I chew on my inner cheek, trying to find another word. "So now that you guys brought back a bunch of bikes, what do you do?"

"We'll be going into the restaurant less." He snorts a laugh.

I feel my shoulders relax a bit at the sound. "That makes life easier for me." I tease.

"We'll be very busy." Blade nods, tracing circles on my shoulder as he speaks. "Fixing and flipping, less customs than the rest of the year."

"I know back in July y'all got really busy."

"Yeah it comes in waves. Obviously we're nearing the end of the season for most bikers, so we'll be really busy for about a month, cranking out all of these auction bikes then November and December it's pretty dead. Some of the guys take weeks off to go on vacation..." he drifts off.