20. Maybe More

"Okay they're ready!" Blade calls as he walks into the living room, plates balanced carefully in each hand, condiments under his arms.

I stand. "Are you sure you don't need me to help?"

He frowns and plops them down on the coffee table. "I'm fine. There's sweet n sour sauce, or ketchup." He gestures and heads back to the kitchen.

"I'm good with them plain, but thanks."

"We have water, iced tea or apple juice." He calls from the other room.

"Broad selection." I snort.

Blade pokes his head around the kitchen wall to flip me off. "June has very specific tastes."

"I see." I chuckle. "Iced tea is fine."

He returns, handing me my cup. "I hope the ducks is fine, our adult glasses are in the wash."

I giggle at the cartoon duck pirates fighting on my plastic cup. "Ducks are great."

"Are you making fun?" He fixes me with a look before pressing play on the show.

"Nope." I try to smother my grin. "Nope, this dinner looks great."

Blade takes a bite of his t-rex nugget. "My Junebug is absolutely convinced that chicken that looks like things tastes better than the regular nuggets."

"Oh for sure." I chuckle. "Who doesn't think that?"

"Once I bought regular ones by accident and I had to lie and say they were cloud nuggets." His laugh makes me feel things. Not good.

"Do you have cookie cutters?"

Blade frowns. "I suppose?"

"You coulda just cut them." I point out.

"Smart."

"I know."

He rolls his eyes and turns back to the TV, and we sit in silence for a few minutes as we finish our dinner. "Hey, sorry we got interrupted yesterday." Blade finally breaks the quiet.

"It's fine, I get it." I shrug. "And you made up for it today, so." I gesture at our empty plates.

"What's your plans for this week?"

Is he going to ask me out again? I clear those thoughts out of my head. "Not a lot, just working and then I have plans on Saturday. You?"

"Yeah, same. Work has been busy, but there's this club thing on Saturday. It's called the American Bikers Association General Meeting and Dinner."

"Oh? That's quite the name."

"Everyone calls it ABAGMD." He shrugs. "It's just some fancy biker gala thing I dunno, not our usual scene so it's fun."

"Oh yeah." The smile grows on my face. "Kasei already invited me to that, I bought a dress and everything."

"Oh?" His one eyebrow cocks up. "I'd love to see it."

"You're going?" wow, way to be subtle, D. "Not everyone does, apparently...so."

I'm convinced this man permanently looks amused around me. "I am."

"I hope we'll get to hangout, then. Just us...we haven't really lately."

He looks back at the tv for a minute. That was awful. What are you even saying? I scold myself again. You sound so desperate.

"I dunno..." Blade looks back my way. "I was thinking maybe I'd ask you."

"To go?" I can't hide the surprise in my voice.