35. Annoying

This chapter comes after 63 in MKOP :)

_____

"Come!" She yells over the music, grabbing my hand before swinging the bathroom door open. I follow her in, glad that it's significantly quieter here so it's easier to resume our talk. 

"So he shows up to your work with his daughter and then expects that to change what?"

"I don't even know, that's what I'm saying!" I check my lipstick in the mirror as Tristyn closes the stall door behind her. "He was like: fuck someone else and I'll kill him."

"Ew, who does he think he is? A fictional character in a mafia book?"

"Right?"

"Did you say it could be a 'her'?"

"Yes, that's exactly what I said next." I giggle.

"Okay, then what happened?"

"I don't even know, that was the end of the conversation, really. He's been ignoring me."

"That's weird, with what excuse?"

"He didn't give one." I huff.

"Oh, okay he's just a moody fucker I guess." She flushes and makes her way to the sink, bumping her hip against mine with what I think is sympathy.

"I don't know what his problem is."

"You should call him!" One of the drunk girls in the bathroom hollers from her stall, obviously listening to our talk.

"That's a terrible idea." Tristyn chuckles.

"Orrrr is that the best idea?"

"Dakot-"

"Shh!" I hold up a finger. I'm too drunk to care if it's a bad idea.

"Dakota?" He picks up on the first ring and fuck I hate that. I hate how his voice breaks me out in goosebumps all over my body.

"Yep, you guessed correctly. Shocking, you even remember how to talk to me, since it's been a whole weekend since that stupid mouth of yours uttered my name."

Tristyn's lips are parted, a shocked look on her face as if she can't believe I'm talking to him.

Blade sighs on the other end of the phone. "Dakota, how drunk are you?"

"I'm out having a good time, I could care less what you think, first of all." My words are slurred, and I clear my throat as if that'll help.

"Who are you with?"

"Um, people." I look around the bathroom, amused that everyone else we came with is gone except for the short haired one in front of me, drying her hands as she watches me.

"People." He doesn't sound pleased.

"Yeah." After our awkward rebound thing months ago, Tristyn and I stayed in contact as friends. When she messaged me the night after we got home, saying for friends were planning a night out, I knew it was just what I needed to get him off my mind.  "Honestly, fuck you for not wanting me because Tristyn does."

The woman across from me chuckles, shaking her head. I grin and nod, flashing her a thumbs-up as if I'm winning this.

"Tris- fuck." His words are tight, and I know it's finally hitting him and he's pissed.

"Anyways, the girls told me not to call you but I thought you should know I'm fine. I'm fine without you."

"Where are you?"

"In a better place with you not on my mind, that's where."

"That's obviously a lie, given the fact you called me."