17. What Just Happened

This chapter has a mature scene in it, I'll put a warning for all you young eyes ;)

______________________

I dance around, belting out the Zootopia theme song that's pumping through my wireless headphones, as I add texture to the waves to the ocean I'm painting. 

"I won't give up, no I won't give innnnn, til I've reached the end, then I'll start againnnnn!" another stroke of my brush. "....I wanna try everything, I wanna try even though I could fail..."

The ending chords of the song fade out, and then the sound of ringing causes me to put down my brush and take off my headphones. I jump up when I realize the doorbell is where the ringing sound is coming from. "Oh, shit!" I jump down the stairs and dash to the door.

"I'm so sorry my music was so loud I didn't hear the door." I pant as I swing it open. I tuck back a couple strands that had escaped from my messy bun, and face the visitor. I'm pretty sure my mouth physically pops open. "Blade? What are-umm...?" I clear my throat. Does he always look this edible? "Are you stalking me?"

He's wearing a fitted grey shirt with his Hawks MC Leather jacket, and jeans. He pushes his sunglasses onto his head to look at me. "Hardly."

"Okay, cuz it's been like, 3 days."

He rolls his eyes, a smile dancing across his lips. "Exactly? Or..."

"Oh ha-ha." I prop my hip against the door. "I'm not counting, cuz I don't care."

"Yes, we've established that. You should maybe work on denying a little less." He has that smile again and I grit my teeth.

fuck this guy.

He holds out a key. "I'm just running errands."

"Uh...what's this?" I frown, taking it from him.

"It's yours. Kasei wasn't sure you'd be in so she gave me a key..."

"Why would she do that? I don't want some random person walking into my house!" I gasp.

"It was obviously in the plan to return the key." He snorts. "I'm not gonna just chill in your house forever. I was just gonna pop in and grab her stuff and leave."

"Then why didn't you just unlock the door and walk in?" I frown. "Who rings the doorbell in an empty house?"

He blinks. "I heard someone murdering a cat."

"What?!" I did not see that coming.

He looks at my headphones slung around my neck, and his lips twitch as he lets out a small chuckle. "Could have been you singing."

"Ugh! Asshole." I roll my eyes, turning my music up loud before I spin and close the door in his face.

He pounds on the door, chuckling. "Sorry Dakota, I couldn't resist the joke."

I pause the music and open the door with an unamused frown. "Comin' to my house and roasting me...How rude."

"I didn't mean to be an asshole." he tries to bite back his smile.

"It must come naturally." I snort a laugh. "Maybe along with the stalking thing."

"I'm not stalking you, I was told you wouldn't be here but the screeching said otherwise."

"Well, sorry I didn't expect a music critic to come by."

He chuckles. "Right."

"Well I didn't expect you, especially." I bite my lip.

"Clearly." He looks down my frame, and back up to my face, the amused smile still dancing on his lips.

I turn to glance quickly in the mirrored key holder by the door and try not to cringe. I have splatters of paint in my messy hair, and I'm out of breath and red in the face from the dancing session I just had. "Whatever. What are you here for?"