34. Long Drive Home

"Okay well that's all we're gonna pack in here." JT slams the door of the truck bed closed.

"Are you sure you don't wanna drive back with us? We can kick him out..." Kasei grabs one hand of mine, fiddling with the rings as she speaks.

"It's fine, Kase. Not because of him." I wonder if it's obvious I'm lying. "I'd just prefer to drive and not think about it." My eyes flick over to where he's loading their truck, muscles flexing and a light sheen of sweat glistening his skin. So far this September has been unseasonably warm, and while I love getting to wear summer clothes longer, I can't pull my eyes away from him...the thoughts of my lips against his salty skin have me craving a cold shower.

"Anyway, I should help them load up." Kasei breaks me out of my NSFW train of thought and I clear my throat and tear my eyes away.

"Sorry, I uh... didn't sleep well last night." I excuse.

"Okay I get it." She chuckles. "You're single and living it up. Mac again or someone else?"

I force a laugh. "Alone, I promise."

She hums and looks back towards the compound where the boys are still shoving bags into the truck, a couple of the ones on bikes revving up and waving goodbye as they peel out.

"Looks like they're almost done, you're probably fine." I shrug.

"Okay, good because I didn't want to." she giggles. "Anyway. Meet up for lunch?"

"Maybe. I'll see what those two say about it." I nod to Keila, who's hugging Taz goodbye as Tyler stands off to the side, talking to her man.

"And you're not thinking about Blade anymore?"

"Kasei." I snort. Yeah, I wish I wasn't, though. It's weird that Mac never messaged me after the elevator and a part of me is wondering if maybe Blade did say something after all. Hoping he did.

"Okay, let's get out of here I need a nap!" Keils skips up to us, getting into the truck behind me. Hope is stupid.

Kasei turns back to me, narrowing her eyes as if she can read my thoughts.

"Anyway, I said I'd drive and it's hot in the truck, I don't want them to get annoyed." I chuckle as Tyler rolls down a window.

"Of course. Okay, D. Drive safe." She pulls me into a tight hug and I laugh as I return it. "Don't piss her off too much guys. I'll see you in a couple hours." Kasei teases.

"I'm always on my best behavior. I don't know what you mean!" Tyler scoffs.

"Shut up Thorn, I know you better than that." Is her sassy retort.

"See ya, Kase. Try not to snore or drool too much this time, ok?"

"I hate you." She calls as I hop into the truck.

"Okay." I blow her a kiss as I turn on the truck, adjusting everything to fit me. I'm not short by anyone's standards, 5 '8 and naturally stick thin. Most people would think I have the ideal body type, I know Kasei has always wished she was taller.

People always wish for what they don't have, right?

I understand though. There's a lot of stigma in the dance industry, especially ballet, if you're short and have curves like her. I've always been envious of her figure, my flat chest has always made me insecure and nobody I've dated ever acted like it was hard just to look at me.

Nobody until Blade, that is. I pull out of the drive, waving goodbye to newfound friends. My smile feels plastic, painted on.

Blade and I never dated. My brain reminds me.