The Pub

“What did you have in mind?” Nick wondered as Charlie rested his chin on Nick's bare shoulder. His mood seemed sour behind his kind, optimistic façade, so Charlie did his best to sound cheery.

“Tao invited us to Tara’s thing tonight at Darcy's pub. He said they finally agreed to let Darcy introduce the bands,” he offered, convinced that Nick would turn him down. Surely Nick wanted to catch up on alone time as much as Charlie did.

“Who else will be there?”

“Everyone, I think.”

Nick gave his head two nods. “We should go.”

By 9 pm, Charlie and Nick were in a booth with Tao and Elle in the pub Darcy worked in. Charlie wished he hadn’t told Nick about this gathering. It would have been a dream to stay in, get takeaway, and cuddle up together to watch a movie. He would have even been willing to go to the cinema to see the newest Marvel addition to its universe. At least they’d be alone (sort of). Charlie loved his mates but seven days without Nick had felt like a week without water. Charlie was still thirsty.

Nick was quiet tonight, drinking a little more than he usually would as he listened to the conversation pass him by.

He’s worried, idiot, Charlie thought to himself. How could he not be? I made things so much worse.

He wished he could ease Nick's mind somehow.

Depression can be crushing. It has a way of draining every ounce of energy and hope from your soul. But it’s all just chemicals and perspective when it comes down to it. As long as Charlie took care of his body and his mind and remembered this simple fact, he knew he would be alright in the end.

Would he cut himself again? Probably. This was a lifelong sort of thing. It didn’t mean he wanted to die. Even when he was that low, Charlie always knew that he still had more life to live with the best person he could have ever hoped for.

Nick would want to believe it if Charlie expressed this to him, though he wouldn’t be able to trust it. Charlie had to prove to the man he loved that he didn’t need to worry about him.

“Anyone need a top-off?” Charlie wondered as he stood from the booth.

“We're good, thanks,” Elle replied as she and Tao held up their filled drinks.

“I'll have another,” Nick requested, his face flushed a bright red.

Charlie was hesitant. Nick was approaching his personal alcohol limit.

Reading the expression on his boyfriend's face, Nick insisted, “I'm fine. Just one more.”

Reluctantly, Charlie agreed then made his way through the crowd to the bar where he found Darcy slinging drinks. As he waited for her to notice him, Charlie figured out how to cheer Nick up.

Ten minutes later, Darcy was on stage as a local band cleared their equipment behind her. “Alright!” Darcy beamed at the the crowd. “Next up, a performer that radiates brilliance and sex appeal. My one and only, Madam Tara Jones!”

The crowd erupted in whoops and applause.

“Shh!” Darcy hushed. “There’s more. Because we love you so much, we decided to treat you to something very special.”

Charlie's eyes were glued on Nick so that he wouldn’t miss his reaction. He squeezed Nick's hand, prompting Nick to smile at him before he pulled Charlie under his arm and kissed the top of his head.

“Performing with Tara and coming out of retirement for one night only, the talented, the fabulous,” Darcy paused for dramatic effect. “Mr. Charlie Spring!”