Holly Jolly: Part Two

It was nice to see his mother so happy. Murray seemed like a nice man. They had met a couple of months earlier and Sarah felt this was the best time to introduce him to her sons. Instinctively, Nick distrusted Murray, defenses up for his mother, but David was being unsupportive enough for both of them.

“What do you think?” Sarah asked Nick about Murray. Hope gleamed in her eye.

“Is he good to you? Nick asked.

Sarah nodded.

Nick smiled. “And you really like him?”

“I do,” she said. “But I want you to like him, too.”

“I think I do,” Nick assured his mother before giving her a hug. As long as she was happy, Nick would support her choices.

Murray was a philosophy teacher who had immigrated to the UK in the ‘90s with his late wife. He had two daughters, now a doctor and a writer respectively. Murray was already growing on Nick with a warm, welcoming personality that was difficult to not be charmed by.

David wouldn’t speak to Murray out of protest against their relationship.

Nick could remember what his mum had said when he tried to tell her he and David had a falling out. She had said, “act your age.” It was so frustrating that it was almost funny that David was acting like a spoiled brat today.

Before dinner, they all gathered in the living room to drink eggnog. Though Nick tried to keep his spirits high, he couldn’t shake the feeling of guilt when he looked at Ingrid. He would bet she had no idea David was cheating on her. What was the girl's name again? Fiona?

Nick couldn’t look at David at all out of fear that he would snap and beat the hell out of him in front of their mother. He had tried to get Charlie to hurt himself. Such actions were unforgivable. But, for their mother, Nick would restrain any urges to chew out or physically harm David. It should be stated, as much as he hated David right now, Nick wouldn’t use his brother's secret against him. If he was to tell Ingrid the truth, it would be for her sake, not in an act of revenge.

“So, Charles, Nicholas,” Murray began. “Have you set a date for the wedding?”

“We haven’t decided quite yet,” Charlie replied before taking a sip of his eggnog.

“Delaying the planning process,” David tsked. “Cold feet, Nick?”

“Shh,” Ingrid hushed her husband.

Nick stared down at his drink as Charlie gave his hand a squeeze of support. It was appreciated. Nick was growing too tired to deal with David's bullshit any longer.

“I think it’s good,” Murray chimed in. “It’s okay to take your time with these things.”

“It's true,” Sarah agreed. “Long engagements are common. There’s no need to rush.”

Perhaps it was because no one was paying attention to him. Maybe it was because Nick seemed unaffected by his taunt. Like a bratty child grasping for any attention he could get, David tactlessly blurted out, “we're having a baby!”

Ingrid glared daggers into her husband. This was still something they were keeping secret.

Sarah covered her open mouth and tittered with glee. “Are you? Really?”

The secret was out, so Ingrid smiled and confessed. “It’s still early, but, yes. We are pregnant.”

We, Nick thought. Ingrid was carrying around David’s baby while David ran around behind her back. What kind of father would he really be? Surely, David couldn’t be so cruel to a child.

Holding onto this secret while Ingrid sat right in front of him was too much to take, so Nick excused himself to go outside for some fresh air. He told Charlie he was fine to go alone.

Minutes later, Nick exhaled and watched his breath as it escaped his lips as he stood on the back porch. The sun would set in an hour or so, and soon after that, he and Charlie could go home to their flat and forget about the rest of the world.

“Doing alright?” Ingrid wondered as she joined him.

Unable to meet her gaze, Nick replied, “mmhm.”

She sighed, staring out at the falling snow.

“Congratulations, by the way.”

“Oh, cheers.”

He couldn’t take it anymore. He had to say something. “Why are you with David? I know it’s a weird, personal question, but I truly don’t understand.”

Ingrid smirked. “He is a bit of an arse, but we get each other. He’s just so insecure around you, then he says and does these awful things. He's trying to be better. He really is.”

Nick huffed, conflicted with his desire to unburden himself of this guilt and his desire to keep the peace. “I'll believe it when I see it. He really isn’t a good guy, Ingrid. He doesn’t treat you well.”

“Sorry?” she scoffed, offended.

“Didn’t he force you to stay in London?” Nick pointed out.

She laughed and shook her head. “Not at all. He planned on moving wherever I wanted to settle down. We want kids, so I chose London to be close to my family, your mum, and you. I want our kids to know their family.”

Oh, Nick thought. Fuck. Before he could come up with something to say, Ingrid interrupted his thoughts.

“I heard you met Lilly,” she stated, offering a crooked smile when Nick turned to her in surprise.