Options

There hadn’t been many times in Nick’s life that he wanted to call his brother for help, but today was one of those times. David was a lawyer, perhaps he could shed some light on the situation from a legal standpoint.

“Do I have any options here?” Nick asked David over the phone after explaining what had happened. “I need Charlie to be comfortable and happy on our honeymoon or it’ll haunt me until I can afford another one. Which could be decades from now. We’re trying to save for a house and--”

“I think I can fix this,” David interrupted. “Let me give the resort a call and see what I can do.”

Nick agreed and ended the call without much expectation. The hotel messed up and double booked their room, then the scuba diver thing happened. Things weren't going well.

There were signs and fences, even a border of buoys that warned tourists the area around the submerged rooms was off limits. As inconvenient and uncomfortable as it was, Nick understood that sometimes, plans didn't work out as intended. Something was always bound to go wrong. The only way to deal with it was to adjust expectations and adapt.

By that afternoon, David had actually come through. The newlyweds were relocated to a private villa within the same resort. It sat on the water, sporting a glass floor in the foyer that looked down to the reef below.

Charlie’s dark eyes were wide as he explored the small villa. “This looks…expensive.”

Noting the skepticism in his husband's voice, Nick put their suitcases to the side, stood behind Charlie, and wrapped his arms around him. “The front desk didn't charge us. I guess they don’t want us suing.”

Charlie shook his head and turned to face Nick. “That doesn't make sense. They have signs and fences; they aren't liable for our marine voyeur.”

Nick kissed Charlie’s cheek. “I don’t know what to tell you. They said we're paid up.”

After settling in and opening a pair of adult beverages, Nick and Charlie relaxed on their deck in the sunshine, the ocean only feet from where they reclined.

Though Nick was shirtless in a pair of swim trunks, Charlie lounged in a t-shirt and jeans. It seemed that the peeping Tom had jostled Charlie quite badly.

Nick clenched his fists as the fury flooded over him. Charlie was doing so well with his body image issues. He was freer about himself, finally beginning to believe what Nick told him everyday. Charlie was beautiful. But now, any of that growing confidence had been shattered by some tourist that decided to swim outside of their window. Nick thought about what he would do if he ever found out who the scuba diver was. It wouldn’t be a pretty sight.

Taking a deep breath, Nick reminded himself to think rationally and not let other people’s actions impact his own. He still saw his therapist, Dr. Singe once a month, and it was her words that brought Nick back to the moment, back to what mattered.

Reclined in the outdoor lounge chair next to Charlie, Nick reached over, took Charlie's hand into his, and shut his eyes. This moment was nice. He didn’t mind being present for this, letting the anger wash away with the sound of the ocean's waves.

An alarm sounded from Nick’s phone and the moment ended. He stood up, trying to pull Charlie up with him. “We gotta go.”

“Where?” he asked as he got up and followed Nick back into the villa.

“One last surprise,” Nick said as he pulled a t-shirt on over his tanning skin.

Holding his questions, Charlie followed Nick out of their villa, through the pool area, and to one of the docks lining the shore. At the end of the dock was one man waiting for them in a dingy. This gave Charlie pause. He assessed the sky and the low-hanging sun, then expressed his reservations. “We are not going out onto the ocean in that little thing just before dark,” he asserted, crossing his arms over his chest in protest.

With a side smirk, Nick waited with his hand extended to his husband. “Have I ever put you in danger before?” he asked, hoping to prove how trustworthy he was.

“Yes,” Charlie replied emphatically. “Rugby? Rollercoasters? That time you wanted to have sex in the shower and you slipped, almost smacking your head open?”

Nick chuckled, approaching Charlie to take both of his hands into his tender grasp. “Do you trust me?”

Charlie played with Nick's wedding band, spinning it around Nick’s finger. “Of course.”

They boarded the small boat, pulling life jackets on as their escort sat at the back of the boat next to the motor. Pulling a string, he revved the motor to life, took ahold of the steering rod, and sped then away. In no time at all, they could see their destination sitting patiently on the horizon.