Miss You

Nick was just getting home from work when his phone vibrated in his pocket. As he loosened his tie, he leaned against the kitchen counter and answered the video call.

Charlie's adorable face filled the screen as he smiled shyly. “Hi.”

“Hi,” Nick chuckled. “How are the Netherlands?”

Charlie shrugged his slender shoulders. “I haven’t seen much of it, to be honest. Our van broke down last night, so we're only getting close now.”

Nick examined what he could see behind Charlie. He was outside, the sun shining in his squinting eyes. “Where are you, exactly?”

“A petrol station,” he replied. “For fuel and the loo.”

“Don’t forget snacks.”

“I haven’t,” Charlie replied with a whine. He held up an already opened chocolate bar and took a big bite for the camera. “Satisfied?”

He laughed. “Maybe. For now.”

Chewing, Charlie grinned warmly. “I'm eating. I promise.”

“It’s really good to hear that,” Nick told him, ignoring the pang in his chest that still worried. “Are you having fun?”

There was some hesitance before Charlie nodded his head. “It’s an adventure.”

Nick furrowed his fair brows. “Is everything alright?”

“Of course,” Charlie insisted. “I think living in the van with three other people has gotten me a little stir-crazy, is all.”

“It’s a good thing you’ll be in Amsterdam, then. Oliver said you’d have you’re very own bed.”

“Glamorous. A bed, I’m really coming up in the world,” he joked before releasing a long sigh. “I heard you had Darcy over last night. How’s she dealing?”

“Not great,” Nick confessed. “She’s struggling. Elle and Tao brought her round to cheer us both up with a film night. I think it worked for a few hours, at least.”

“What did Tao make you watch?” Charlie wondered.

“You'll never believe me,” Nick laughed. “But I swear, Tao let me watch Avengers.”

“That is such a lie!” Charlie declared, giggling at the image of it in his head. “Tao would rather take bleach to his eyes that watch anything Marvel.”

“I guess he pitied me enough to make an exception.”

They laughed together for a minute before Charlie's expression softened. “And you? How are you finding this whole separation thing?”

Nick thought carefully. “I think I’m alright. I miss you, but compared to Darcy, I’m taking it well. What about you?”

“Ready to come home,” Charlie admitted, tired. “I miss you and our bed. I'm glad I came here, but, I dunno, maybe I’ve had my fill. Lucky for me, my time as a sub will end soon.”

“Don’t think of it like that,” Nick suggested. “Make memories, enjoy yourself. There’s no point in sulking until you come home.”

Charlie presented an exaggerated frown. “I'm not sulking.”

Nick smiled at Charlie's silly face. “You know what I mean. Make the most of your time as a rock star.”

This made Charlie scoff. “Rock star. Right.”

“You are to me.”

Charlie’s lips turned up in a smile. “Shut up. You’re so cheesy.”

“I can’t help it,” Nick defended. “You bring the cheesiness out of me.”

“Stop it,” Charlie blushed. “You’re too sweet.”

“Should I be cruel?”

“I’m not sure you know how to be cruel.”

“I'm relieved you think so much of me.”

“Eh,” Charlie teased. “You’re alright, I guess.”

In the background, Tara called for Charlie's attention.

“I have to go,” he told Nick reluctantly. “I’ll call you when we get there. I love you.”

“Okay. I love you too, Char.”

Not even ten minutes passed before Nick's phone went off again. Recognizing the name on the caller ID, he picked up and politely said hello.

“Good afternoon. This is Dr. Singe’s office calling for Nicholas Nelson.”

“Yes, this is he.”

“We wanted to inform you that some appointments have opened up in light of recent cancellations.”

Nick ran his fingers through his hair, anxious. “I wasn’t supposed to come in until next month.”

“We have an opening tomorrow afternoon.”