Packing

“Do you have your toothbrush?”

Charlie fumbled through his suitcase until his hand closed around his toiletry kit. After quickly checking inside of it, he called to Nick in their bedroom, “got it!”

“Toothpaste?”

“Yes.”

“Deodorant?”

“Nick, I have everything,” Charlie giggled. “Would you stop worrying? Come sit with me.” He sat on the floor of their living room with his open suitcase.

“Do you want more snacks for the train?”

“Nick!”

With a groan, Nick finally joined Charlie on the floor in the living room. “I just don’t want you to forget anything.”

“Tara said I’ll only need to be there for ten days. If I forget anything, I think I can go without,” Charlie assured him.

“Do you have your meal plan?” Nick went on.

“Yes,” he said as he climbed into Nick’s lap and wrapped his arms around him. He kissed his boyfriend's lips and rested their foreheads against one another. “You don’t need to worry about me right now. I think I’m in a good place.”

He hated to willingly leave Nick, but this really was a unique opportunity. How many people dreamed of playing in a band, no matter how famous? Not everyone had the skill and opportunity to do so. Charlie was lucky that he was one of the few who were able to have that experience. In the end, the whole thing could make for some great memories.

Charlie tried to pretend that this was the only factor that had swayed his decision. Since his fight with Ben, Nick had been different. He was difficult to get a read on and seemed to be distancing himself from Charlie. Maybe, for whatever reason, Nick needed a break from him, so Charlie would give that to him.

With his forehead still pressed to Charlie's, Nick closed his eyes and released a content sigh. Charlie would miss this dearly, but again, he would only have to go without Nick for ten days. It was doable, even tolerable. It could be good for their relationship as well. Charlie had lost count of how many times someone had told them they were codependent. He felt that they were old enough and mature enough to address it now. It was time for both Nick and Charlie to find their independence. Their love would be stronger for it in the end.

“I wish I could go with you,” Nick told him, his voice gentle.

“Me too,” Charlie admitted. “I think we'll be alright though. I'll be calling you every chance I get.”

“I'll wait by the phone, then?” he said before he brushed his nose against Charlie's. “I’m really proud of you. You know that, right?”

Charlie could feel his cheeks burning as a blush came on. “Shut up.”

“It’s true,” Nick insisted. “I swear, you amaze me everyday. You're just brilliant.”

Charlie pressed his lips to Nick's. He wasn’t used to so much praise. He feared he would get too confident.

Nick kissed him back with passion, holding Charlie close in his lap. He pulled away from their kiss and smirked. “I have something I wanted to give you.” He got up, disappeared into their bedroom, and returned with his gift for Charlie.

Charlie's eyes went wide with excitement at the sight of it. He gave Nick a hug, and told him, “I love it.”