Upset

Tired and annoyed, Nick waited outside of the pub for his ride as he tried to think of something to text Charlie. All he wanted to say was that he would be home in about a half hour, but each attempted message came out in a crazed rant.

N: I fucking hate him. He’s dead to me. I’m never speaking to him again. Fuck that fucking fuck!! How can someone be so awful??? And he’s cheating on Ingrid!! I mean, I guessed he was, but now I know for sure because I just met his girlfriend. Fucking asshole. Ingrid doesn’t deserve this shit. Should I tell her? I can’t, right? It would destroy her and it isn’t my place. Right? She has a right to know, though. I should tell her.

With an audible growl, Nick erased his ramblings and tried again, pausing when he heard the door to the pub swing open behind him. Curiosity pushed Nick to glance over his shoulder where he found Lilly. She seemed surprised to see him.

Like before, Lilly offered a wave before she focused on her phone to order a car.

Swallowing at the lump in his throat, Nick put his phone into his pocket and glanced at Lilly. He hated to give the wrong impression. This wasn’t her fault.

“I think there was a misunderstanding,” Nick explained to the girl who bore a striking resemblance to Charlie. “Did David tell you this was a double date?”

She nodded her head.

Nick huffed. “I don’t know why he did that. I’m in a happy, closed relationship.” Worried he would hurt Lilly’s feelings, he stammered, “I’m sorry. I mean, if I was single, I would be lucky to date you.”

Lilly's pretty, tanned face drooped. “You don’t need to spare my feelings. I know I’m hideous,” she said before she began to cry into her hands.

“No, not at all,” Nick assured her in a panic. There was something extremely uncomfortable about seeing a young woman cry. “You’re beautiful.”

When Lilly looked up at him, her eyes were dry as she giggled. “Gotcha.”

Nick chuckled with relief.

“Don’t sweat it. No harm done,” Lilly grinned as her ride pulled up in front of the pub. “Nice meeting you,” she said, bidding Nick farewell.

That went better than he’d thought.

When Nick’s ride finally pulled up to the pub, Nick glanced back and found David standing on the other side of the pub’s front window. Nick opened the door to the back seat of the car, pausing for one last look at the brother he planned to disown.

Smirking, David raised his hand and waved.

Nick flipped David off, got into the car, and slammed the door shut. He took his phone from his pocket and texted Charlie.

N: coming home now. I love you. ❤

25 minutes later, Nick unlocked the front door to the flat and stepped inside. None of the lights had been switched on and the entire flat was dark and silent.

Did Charlie go to bed?

Switching on a few lights as he went, Nick headed into the bedroom to find that Charlie wasn’t there. In the kitchen, plain noodles sat in a strainer in the sink. Charlie hadn’t bothered to finish cooking.

With a pang of guilt, Nick noticed Charlie’s phone lighting up on the kitchen table. Usually, Nick would have ignored it. It was up to Charlie if he wanted Nick to see his messages, but this message was from David.

Nick's heart pounded heavily in his chest as he opened the string of messages David had inundated Charlie with for the last hour or so. As he read, Nick wasn’t sure if he wanted to vomit, murder his brother, or curl up and cry his eyes out.

D: hey. I know you don’t like me much, but someone needs to tell you the truth. It might as well be me. Nick's been cheating on you with a woman named Lilly for the past two months. That’s why I told you not to marry him.

Charlie didn’t respond, so ten minutes later, David sent another message.

D: do you know where he is right now? A pub with Lilly. They’ve been snogging since Nick got here. Should I send a picture?

This continued for a while until about 25 minutes before Nick got home.

David sent Charlie two pictures he had taken of Nick and Lilly. One showed when Lilly was pretending to cry and Nick was trying to comfort her. From David's vantage point, it actually looked like Nick was about to kiss her. The next pictured showed the pair laughing in an attempt to relieve the tense silence that they otherwise would have suffered. It appeared more genuine than it was.

D: Believe me now?

Then, a message that made Nick sick.

D: He feels like he has to marry you or you’ll kill yourself. He’s sick of it, said he hopes you grow a pair and do it. Then he won’t have to look at your disgusting face anymore.

Tears were already flooding his eyes when he set the phone down. “Char?” he called, panic trembling in his voice. He started towards the bathroom, terrified of what he would find.