The Knot: Part One

One week later

Snowflakes fell gently outside of the large chalet windows that looked out onto the frozen lake and snowcapped trees outside. Nick released a relaxed sigh as he watched the snow lazily drift to the ground like a feather in the breeze. He had been waiting for this day for so, so long. It was difficult to believe that the day had finally arrived. Today, Nick would finally marry Charlie.

He stood in front of one of the large windows, his hands clasped in front of him as he scanned over their guests. Though he was antsy, Nick wasn’t nervous in the way he had expected to be. There was no worry, no desire to run for his life at the sight of such a big change, no insecurities. Nick was anxious, not to marry Charlie, but to wait any longer to do so. It was time and Nick was finished waiting.

In the front row of the small group of guests were Nick's family. His mum was seated between Nick's dad and Murray, dabbing the corner of her eye as tears of joy tried to force their way out early. Murray gave Nick a thumbs up, and his dad gave him a knowing nod of approval. Next to Nick's father was David with his daughter, Isabelle sitting in his lap. Next to David was Ingrid, who gently took their toddler's hand and made her wave to Nick.

He chuckled. A few months ago, he never would have thought he'd want David at his wedding. Since their talk in the diner, David had shown a lot of progress. Things were going so well that David and Ingrid would visit Nick and Charlie, bringing Isabelle along for play dates. After all of the years of David's bullshit, Nick was astounded that they were able to not only be cordial, but they were becoming friends, too. Nick hadn’t realized that he wanted his brother’s friendship so badly before. He always wished they were closer. Now that they were, Nick couldn’t help but feel like he and David had missed out on years of fraternal friendship. David was still a jerk, you can’t fix everything, but he was compassionate, funny, and a pretty awesome dad. Nick was relieved that his brother and Ingrid worked out their issues, turning them into a happy, drama free family.

Seated next to the Nelsons were the Spring family. Charlie’s parents sat waiting, hand in hand. Next to them were Tori, Michael, Oliver, and Oliver's girlfriend, Fay. Behind the families were their friends. Tao, Elle, Tara, Darcy, Charlie's boss, Patrick, and his daughter, Jessa all eagerly waited for the ceremony to commence.

Gentle classical music began to play and Charlie stepped into the room. His jangled nerves were evident, causing an expression of discomfort to colour his face. Seeing him so anxious made Nick want to go to him, take ahold of his hand and let him know that there was nothing to be afraid of.

When Charlie’s gaze met Nick’s, those anxieties seemed to slip away. He smirked at his fiancé and joined him at the front of the room.

The wedding officiant cleared her throat before beginning. “We are all together today to celebrate the union of Nicholas and Charles. I believe they have written their own vowes,” she said before addressing Charlie. “When you’re ready.”

Charlie joined both of his hands with Nick’s and released and anxious chuckle. His thumb grazed over Nick’s skin as he spoke to him as though they were alone. “Nick,” he sighed happily. “Life with you is like a wonderful dream I never want to wake up from. I know that meeting you, being with you, was the best thing that’s ever happened to me. You are everything I want in a husband and then some. Your kindness, patience, understanding, and unconditional love not only make my life better, but the live of everyone you meet. I know it’s clichéd but you are the sun in my stormy life. Whenever I get lost, you’re always my beacon home. And, well, you are my home, Nick. You’re everything that’s good about this world and I know that I am the luckiest little dweeb there ever was because you picked me. I love you so, so much and I know that being your husband will be the greatest honor of my life.”

They stood smiling at one another for a moment before Nick realized that every eyeball in the room was now on him.