Trauma

Nick froze at the sound of Charlie's voice. Hearing it was sobering, causing Nick to begrudgingly let Ben go, stand up, and step away. Casting Ben a parting glare, he said, "if you come near him again, we'll get a restraining order."

When Nick and Charlie got home and stepped through the door to their apartment, Nick groaned and settled on the couch. Ben had kicked him pretty hard in the stomach and the pain was only now beginning to subside.

Head hanging low, Charlie shut and locked the front door. "He could have you charged."

Nick scoffed dismissively. "He won't."

"You don't know that!" Charlie snapped. He pressed his fingertips to his eyelids and sighed with frustration. "You're lucky I saw through your bullshit and followed you. What was your plan exactly? Pummel him to death and ruin your entire life?"

Nick stared down at the specks of blood on his bruised knuckles. Perhaps it was because he couldn't finish what he had started with Ben or because he was so drunk, but Nick could still feel rage bubbling inside of him. "Are you seriously angry with me right now?"

Charlie stared down at his feet. Unable to meet Nick's gaze, he nodded. "You should've left it alone." He paced around the living room, chewing his nails as panic washed over him. "I'll text Ben. Maybe he won't press charges if I apologize."

"Don't you dare," Nick protested. "You didn't do anything wrong."

"You assaulted him," Charlie pointed out. "You could get in actual trouble for this." He held his phone up and started thumbing in a message.

"Stop! You're not apologizing to him of all people." Nick shook his head at himself as Ben's words echoed inside of his skull. What if I told you that you're right to worry?

Charlie ignored him as he thoughtfully continued to tap away at his phone.

"Why are you taking his side?"

Taken aback, Charlie paused the composition of his apology to Ben. "What? I'm not."

"Well, you're certainly not taking mine," Nick claimed, an ache slowly forming in his chest.

Charlie still wouldn't look at him, but he put his phone back into his pocket to let all of his attention settle onto their lover's quarrel.

Why can't he look at me? Nick wondered as his head began to swim with confused anger. "Is it true, then? Ben told me you've been...seeing each other."

Finally ungluing his eyes from his feet, Charlie looked up and locked his piercing blue gaze on Nick. When he spoke, his voice cracked with devastation. "Are you really asking me that?" He backed away, his heart breaking. "No, Nick. It isn't true."

Nick could feel his heart tearing into pieces within his chest. Why the fuck did I do that? "I didn't mean it. I...I'm drunk and seeing Ben, it just fucked with me. I know you wouldn't. I know."

Charlie dried his eyes with the sleeve of his sweater. "I'm on your side. I don't want you to get in trouble, is all." He shook his head. "Why did you do it? What the hell were you thinking?"

"He just keeps showing up. I needed to get him to back off. I needed to protect you."

"I don't need you to protect me!" Charlie shouted. "What I need is for you to stop treating me like a broken porcelain doll. You worry about me so much, and I love you for it. But at the same time, it's fucking suffocating. Why can't you just be happy with me?"

"I am happy," he asserted.

"You're not. If you were, you wouldn't have instigated that fight. It's been years. Ben doesn't matter, Nick."

"You said he cornered you at work," he pointed out as his heart swelled with pain. "I just keep thinking about that day in the music block. It keeps playing over and over. I can still see him pushing you against the wall, hands all over you. What would have happened if I didn't follow you that day?" Tears dripped down his pale face. "He was gonna force himself on you, Char. Why wouldn't he try again?"

Furrowing his brow, Charlie rushed to hold Nick as he broke down.

"I should have been here," Nick sobbed, his eyelids now strangely heavy. "You needed me and I wasn't here."

"Shh," Charlie hushed, stroking Nick's dark blonde hair as he soothed the love of his life to sleep.