Expensive

Charlie's eyes only grew wider as the dingy floated up to a yacht anchored off of the coast. It was specious but still practical. They didn’t need a superyacht for only the pair of them.

Anxiously, Charlie stepped off of the dingy and onto the yacht. He and Nick were greeted by a small staff who would be preparing their meal that night. Charlie offered the line of staff an awkward wave. “Hi.”

The yacht rocked with each wave that swept past them. Nick held the small of Charlie's back, hoping to keep him steady as they made their way to their dinner table.

Charlie took ahold of the railing and gazed off at the horizon. The sunset would be amazing here.

Nick stood next to him, gripping the side railing to keep his balance. “Well?”

Charlie gave Nick a deep kiss on the lips. “I love it.”

Joy was shining through Nick's cute grin.

Although the moment was perfect, Charlie was only left with more questions. “There is no way the resort simply gave us a private yacht at sunset.”

“They did, though,” Nick replied, trying not to put too much thought into their recent bout of luxury.

They ate a nice dinner, finishing just as the sun began to set. Together, they stood by the railing to behold the beautiful spectrum of oranges, yellows, and reds fading across the clear sky.

Nick stood behind Charlie, holding him close as he rested his chin on Charlie’s shoulder. “Tu es plus beau que le coucher du soleil,” he cooed into Charlie’s ear. You are more beautiful than the sunset.

Charlie giggled, leaning back against his husband. He still wasn’t fluent, but Charlie could decipher the odd compliment. “Why are you always so sweet?”

“Parce que tu es mon mari et je t'aime,” Nick explained in French. Because you are my husband and I love you. With a wide grin, he waited for Charlie to reply. When he didn’t, Nick laughed and told him what he meant in English. “You said you were going to learn,” he lectured jokingly.

“I learned a little,” Charlie said in defense.

As the sun sank lower behind the horizon, Charlie stood blissfully in his husband’s embrace and let his gaze settle onto the ocean before it was engulphed in darkness. A dolphin leapt out of the water, arching in a perfect crescent shape before it glided back below the surface.

Nick pointed at where it had jumped, laughing and wishing they had thought to take a photo.

Charlie listened with a content smile resting on his lips. He really was the luckiest person in the world to have Nick as his husband. Everything Nick did only seemed to prove as much.

When the sun had set and the couple had had their fill of the yacht, the same dingy brought them back to shore, dropping them at the back porch of their villa. After a couple of glasses of champagne, Charlie didn’t harbor the same fears he’d had earlier that evening.

Back on dry land, Nick followed Charlie to the bedroom where they both lay down on the extra-comfortable mattress.

With a relaxed sigh, Charlie snuggled up to Nick, resting his head on Nick’s chest. “I must admit, this place is pretty nice.”

Putting his arm around Charlie, Nick placed a soft kiss on the top of his head before taking a moment to take in the scent of his hair.

Charlie knew that it was important to Nick that Charlie enjoy their honeymoon. Although they had stumbled once or twice, Charlie couldn’t have asked for anything better. Even the scary underwater room was a wonderful experience until someone swam by the window. It wasn’t only the best vacation of Charlie’s life; it was the most exciting date he and Nick had ever embarked on.

“I guess David really is trying to make up for his mistakes,” Charlie mused.

Nick paused, confused. “What makes you say that?”

Charlie chuckled, motioning to the private villa around them. He turned onto his side and placed his hand to Nick’s cheek. “Babe, the resort didn’t comp any of this. The villa, the yacht, the privacy, it’s all too much. Someone had to pay for it.”

Nick thought on this. “He wouldn’t,” he concluded.

“Well, I intend on thanking him when we get home,” Charlie proclaimed before he readjusted to kiss his husband. “And I want to thank you. I would’ve been perfectly happy with an Airbnb twenty minutes from home. All of the good outweighs the bad for me, and I’m really having a lovely time.”

With a sense of relief, Nick grinned and swept Charlie up in another kiss.