Perfect

When all of the guests were seated, the lights dimmed and Elle announced, “I am proud to present Mrs. and Mrs. Olsson-Jones. “Perfect" by Ed Sheeran began to play before the double doors to the entrance swung open and Tara and Darcy walked in, hand and hand. Everyone cheered for the newlyweds, then watched as the couple had their first dance as wives.

Nick smiled to himself, overwhelmed with happiness for his friends, and took Charlie's hand into his. I can’t wait to marry you, Nick thought to Charlie.

Charlie's eyes were bright as he watched their friends dance under a spotlight. His smile was wide when he turned to Nick and silently mouthed, “I love you.”

Nick mouthed the words back to him before they both set their attention back onto Tara and Darcy.

As the night progressed, they dined, drank, danced, and laughed with their friends in celebration of the newlyweds. Nick was having so much fun that he drank a little more than he meant to. What should have been a mild buzz was quickly turning his stomach as he bounced around on the dance floor. To ease his dizziness, Nick told Charlie he would be back in a minute and went out onto the terrace just outside of the dining hall.

A fresh summer breeze cascaded over his warm face, giving a moment of relief before the breeze died out and he was left with a heated stillness that seemed to make his head spin more. Nick approached the railing and stared out at the pitch-black horizon as it met the glimmering sky above. The stars were so prominent out here without the light pollution of the city. Taking in a long breath, Nick felt his head slowly stop spinning.

“You alright?” Tara wondered, joining him at the railing.

“Fine,” he assured her with a chuckle. “I shouldn’t drink more tonight, though.”

She laughed. “Just checking. You were looking a little green in there.”

Unable to stop grinning at her like an idiot, Nick gave Tara a big hug, then pulled away still grinning. “I'm so, so happy for you. And this whole thing, it’s so,” he paused, struggling to find the words, “it’s lovely.”

“Thank you,” Tara replied with deep sincerity. “It took a lot of work, was a bit stressful, but it was all worth it.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah,” she affirmed.

“You’re happy, then?”

“Very,” Tara assured him.

“Good,” Nick said.

She hesitated. “Are you?”

Nick glanced through the doorway that led to the dance floor to find Charlie still there. As he danced and fooled around with his friends, Nick found himself smiling even wider. Turning back to Tara, the person with whom he had shared his first kiss, he nodded his head. “Yeah. I'm happy, too.”

It was 4 in the morning by the time Charlie and Nick returned to their room, yet the party spirit was still strong within them. It felt as though they had only begun the night, yet as soon as they rested for a moment in the large, comfortable bed, the hours caught up with them.

“We need to check out in 6 hours,” Charlie told Nick as he closed his eyes.

Nick did the same, hoping to rest his eyes for a minute or so. When he opened them again, the sun was up.