Speak

When Nick got home from work that day, he was surprised to find Charlie in the kitchen.

“Are you cooking?” he wondered as he shrugged off his suit jacket and draped it over a chair at the dining table.

“Trying to,” Charlie replied with an anxious chuckle as a pot on one of the burners began bubbling over.

“Can I help?”

“I got it,” Charlie assured him. “Relax. It’s time for me to do something for you.”

Nick crooked a brow. “You do stuff for me all the time. Just you being here when I get home usually makes my day.”

Charlie turned down the burner and began to stir whatever he was cooking. It looked like he was preparing a spaghetti meal for them. He hated cooking, so pasta was a safe, simple choice. Boil water. Add noodles. Add sauce. That was enough cooking for Charlie.

As Charlie stirred the noodles to prevent them from sticking to the pot, Nick approached him from behind and wrapped his arms around Charlie's stomach. He nuzzled his face into clean black hair, savoring Charlie’s scent mixed with shampoo. He kissed the side of Charlie's neck, then finally asked the question that had been eating at him since the night before. “Char, is everything alright, you know, between us?”

Silently, Charlie nodded his head.

Nick spun his fiancé around to face him. “Talk to me,” he begged.

With a heavy sigh, Charlie turned back to the boiling pasta. “It’s stupid.”

“It can’t be that stupid if it’s bothering you,” Nick pointed out.

He set the burner to a low boil and turned back to Nick. Pulling at his long jumper sleeves, he stared at the floor as though it held a script of what he was to say. “I…” he sighed again, this time in frustration. “Are you sure you wanna marry me?”

Confusion set in, making Nick mildly annoyed. “Yes. That’s why I proposed.”

“I know,” Charlie said, embarrassed. “But…neither of us has ever been with another person in bed and I’m just worried--"

“So, you wanna sleep with someone else?” he replied in a panic. “Wait, is there someone else?”

“No!” Charlie assured him. “I don’t want anyone else.”

“Well, neither do I,” Nick said sternly. “I want you, Char. I don’t need to try sleeping with other people. I already found my soulmate. But, if you feel you need to--"

“I don’t. I just thought maybe…” Charlie found it difficult to continue. “You've never been with a woman like that and I guess I’m worried you’ll regret not experimenting.”

Nick groaned with anger and shook his head. “David’s been in your ear, then?”

“He was just saying--"

“Don’t defend him,” Nick snapped. “What a dick. I can’t believe he had the audacity to talk that shit to you.” He met Charlie's gaze with sympathy. “I'm sorry you had to hear that. But trust me. David is a fucking moron who despises happiness. Please don’t let him get to you.”

“I know. I try not to,” Charlie said. “Insecurity, I guess.”

He took Charlie’s hand and gave it a soft squeeze. “I swear, Char, I don’t need to experiment. I want you. Only you.”

Charlie let a side smirk sneak through. “Promise?”

Nick put his hand over his heart as if to swear on it. “I promise.”

Now ignoring the pasta he had been cooking, Charlie propped himself up on his tippy toes and put his arms around Nick's muscular shoulders. He nuzzled his nose against Nick's with affection before their lips met in a tender kiss.

Nick's cell phone began to buzz with an incoming message. He rolled his eyes, reluctant to leave his fiancé’s embrace.

“Oh, shit,” Charlie muttered when he turned back to the stove to find that the pot he was using was boiling over.

While Charlie dealt with that, Nick picked up his phone to check his newest message. It was from David.

D: meet me at Sam's Diner in an hour. It’s an emergency.