Ceremony

Elle kissed Tao and stood up. “It’s starting soon.” She strode up to the arch to stand with the wedding officiant and Sahar from school. Both women were maids of honor or “best women" to Darcy and Tara respectively. Sahar and Elle waved to each other.

 Soon, romantic music faded in before the first bride started her way down the isle. Darcy was beautiful. Her jumpsuit was white, solid where her pants would be and growing sheerer as it extended into a lace bodice. To top the outfit off, she wore a white suit jacket over top. Her dyed blonde hair was twisted into waves that framed her face as she beamed with joy.

When Darcy reached the arch, she linked hands with Elle and Sahar as a sign of thanks before she turned to face the crowd and await her bride.

Tara was glowing as she walked down the isle, dressed in more traditional garb in a sleek white gown and her hair pinned up stylishly. She carried a bouquet of pink and white roses which matched the pink embellishments that sparkled down her veil and gown.

At the alter, Darcy's eyes filled with tears of joy as she watched Tara come walk towards her. It made Nick feel a little teary eyed as well.

As the ceremony commenced, Nick tried to appreciate each moment. Tara and Darcy's wedding was a milestone for him and Charlie as well. It felt like they were truly stepping into adulthood. He never really thought he would be the guy to cry at weddings, but he couldn't help it. Emotion was filling the room to the brim.

The brides said their vows and sealed their marriage with a kiss and everyone stood and clapped. Darcy held Tara's hand in the air triumphantly, proud to declare to the world, “this is my wife!”

They were both beaming with joy, walking back up the isle to take their wedding photos while their guests attended a cocktail hour.

They hung out with Tao, sipping champagne as they chatted about how lovely the wedding was, the location, and the food they would soon have access to. Elle was off with the wedding party taking photographs in the next room.

“Why is everyone getting married all of a sudden?” Tao wondered, speaking to no one in particular.

“I don’t think it’s all of a sudden,” Nick said.

“Since when are two couples everyone?” Charlie posed to Tao before he set his empty champagne flute down on a nearby cocktail table.

“Well, it’s most of our friend group,” Tao told Charlie before he addressed Nick. “I know, it just feels like it’s all at once. It’s like once you age past 25, the years get shorter. It feels like your wedding is next week or something.”

“Hm,” Charlie thought aloud with a displeased expression on his face. “It feels like it’s ten years away to me.”

They both waited for Nick's input on the strange ways of time perception. “It feels like it’s a year and a half away…because it is.”

“Interesting,” Tao observed. “You’re the oldest, yet your perception of time is more on point than ours.” He turned to Charlie. “Maybe there’s a temporal adjustment period.”

Charlie began to laugh and Tao soon joined him. “What on Earth are you talking about?”

Tao shook his head as he chuckled. “I don’t even know anymore.”

Nick glanced from Tao to Charlie and playfully tsked. “You’re both already drunk.”

“Just a little,” Charlie replied, trying to stifle his laughter as Tao held up his fingers, positioning them only a centimeter apart to emphasize Charlie's statement.

It felt as though barely any time passed before they opened the dining hall for the reception. After they found their seats at table for Darcy's family.

The day had already felt sped up, but after he and Charlie sat down, the rest of the night flew by.