The Bachelor(s)

December

The wedding was one week away and Charlie couldn’t be more excited. He wished that he had helped more during the planning process, but he knew that Nick would pull it off. Charlie found that he enjoyed watching Nick take control of the situation. It reminded him of when they played rugby together in school. Nick seemed to know exactly what needed to be done to execute his vision, ranging from flower arrangements to finding the perfect location for less than they budgeted for. Charlie wondered if his future husband would benefit from a change in careers.

Tonight was their joint bachelor party. They shared the same friends, so they saw no reason not to make it a “stag and stag” party. Their friends brought them to a gay club downtown where they had rented a booth for them all to chat, drink and dance.

Charlie was having fun. He didn’t get to see everyone as often these days with school, work and the wedding. It stung when he thought about how much he missed them. So, he made the best of tonight. The next time they would all be in the same room would be at the wedding, and after that, Charlie wasn’t sure at all.

Because he wanted to savor every moment, Charlie decided to only have one drink. He was buzzed but still present.

Charlie was talking to Darcy when Nick approached him from behind and wrapped his arms around him. The scent of vodka was on his breath.

“I gotta find the loo, but I don’t want to get lost,” Nick pouted. “Come with me?”

He didn’t need to ask again. Whether this was an erotic invitation or if Nick really was a little too drunk to confidently navigate the club, Charlie was more than willing to accompany his fiancé.

They excused themselves from the group and headed out of their private corner and into the general population. When they came across a decorative alcove, Nick pushed Charlie into it, grabbed his face, and kissed his lips.

With a wide smile, Charlie kissed him back, grabbing him by the hips to pull him closer.

They made out for a good five minutes, their hands drifting everywhere on one another's body. When Nick eventually pulled away, he gazed into Charlie's eyes. “I love you so fucking much.”

“I love you more,” Charlie playfully challenged.

“Not possible.” His handsome side smirk lit up his face as he offered Charlie his hand.

Charlie accepted it and they started their way through the crowded dance floor.

Their booth was in sight when Charlie's shoulder accidentally made contact with someone else’s shoulder.  When he stopped to apologize, Charlie realized that he hadn’t bumped into a stranger.

Although his pulse quickened in dread, it was nothing in comparison to the way he used to feel when he saw Ben. Charlie tried to keep moving to keep Ben away from Nick so they could enjoy their bachelor party, but it was too late.

Nick had noticed Charlie let go of his hand, spun around and noticed Ben as easily as a flare over a lake at night. He walked over, held Charlie's hand once more, made a moment of eye contact with Ben, then casually walked with Charlie back to their booth.

Nick sat down, taking in then releasing a long breath. He rested his hand gently on Charlie's back. “Are you okay?”

Charlie gave Nick's knee a squeeze. “I'm fine,” he grinned. Seeing Ben didn't have the same stressful, terrifying effect that it used to. Charlie felt good, in fact, that he could just walk away like Ben was another stranger in the crowd.

Nick was a different story. They didn’t talk much about the night he beat the hell out of Ben aside from the argument that had followed. Charlie knew his fiancé saw a therapist for a year afterwards, but he never brought it up with Charlie again.

“Are you okay?” Charlie wondered.

With affection, Nick kissed Charlie on the forehead. “Yeah. I think I am.”