CHAPTER 30

TIMESKIP 3 DAYS...

"Thank you so much for your hospitality."

All twelve girls bowed as the mother chuckled, "of course dears, it should be all dry outside now..."

The woman's eyes lingered on each of them, "stay safe... Perhaps when this is all over we may meet again soon."

As some of the girls nodded, Chinmae went over to hug all of them one by one.

"Bye noonas..."

Yuri crouched down as the little boy went up to her, and she began to ruffle his fluffy hair.

"Protect yourself and your mom okay?"

"I will Yuri-noona."

"And maybe when we see each other again I can hug you with both arms."

The others softly smiled as the hamster pulled Chinmae in for a hug with her functional arm, slowly making their leave.

"Take care... All of you."

"You too! Thank you again for everything."

With that the girls began their trek across the barren land once more, the sun slowly coming up behind them as they continued more south...

~ ~ ~

...

...

...

"Yujin-unnie?"

...

"Y-Yujin... Wake up."

...

"Unnie, please wake up..."

A sharp gasp sounded from the puppy as she abruptly sat up, nearly missing Wonyoung's head from the younger girl leaning forward to shake her out of her nightmarish sleep.

Yujin was covered in a cold sweat, and she covered her face with her hands, willing herself not to let the tears she held fall.

"Unnie..."

The basketball player wiped away at her face to clear the sweat and tears, glancing over to see her favorite bunny stare at her in worry.

"Sorry Wonyoung-ah, did I wake you?"

The high school junior gave the sophomore a small smile, her heartbeat still pounding out of her chest from the dream that constantly haunted her since... that day.

Even in the dark of the small room they shared, Yujin saw the worry in Wonyoung's eyes, and she slightly tensed as the younger girl scooted closer.

"Unnie, are you okay?"

The said girl hummed in response, "yeah I am, don't worry about me."

Her heartbeat quickened as the bunny's slender hands caressed her cheek, Yujin's eyes locked onto hers as Wonyoung brushed aside a loose strand of hair.

"Do you want to talk about it? It seemed really bad..."

'I always worry people around me...'

"It's okay Wonnie, let's just go back to bed."

"Yuj-"

"Wonyoung, I said I'm fine."

Wonyoung flinched from Yujin's hardened tone, the latter recoiling from her own harshness as the younger girl slowly took away her hand.

"Sorry unnie..."

"Wait I- I..."

Wonyoung weakly chuckled, "I shouldn't have pushed you for answers, you don't have to say anything if you don't want to."

Yujin could only watch in frozen silence as Wonyoung laid back down in the bed they shared, facing the wall away from Yujin as she pulled the cover back over her.

'I always hurt people too... What kind of person am I?'

The older girl slowly laid down, thoughts keeping her from sleep as she stared at the ceiling.

"Wonyoung-ah..."

"..."

Yujin turned to her side, hesitantly wrapping an arm around the younger girl's torso. She pulled herself closer when Wonyoung didn't pull away, resting her head on the bunny's back.

"I'm sorry, I didn't want to come off as mean..."

"..."

"It's just... I've been having that dream for a long time... And it never gets better."

She clutched Wonyoung's hoodie, "I shouldn't have lashed out at you like that... It's not your fault, it never was. You've helped me a lot, Wonnie."

A few moments of silence passed, and right as Yujin believed the younger girl was sleeping, the bunny turned back to face the puppy, staring softly at the older girl.

Wonyoung rested a hand on Yujin's head, gently caressing her hair with a light smile on her lips.

"It's okay unnie..."

Yujin's heart fluttered as she felt the girl's soft lips on her forehead, her melodic voice music to her ears.

"You don't have to explain... Just like how you protect me, I'll always protect my Yudaeng-unnie."

Her Yudaeng...

Wonyoung pulled Yujin closer, resting the girl's head on her chest as she began to slowly rub her head, humming a soft tune to fill in the silence.

It shouldn't be like this...

As the older person Yujin should be the one comforting Wonyoung in a time like this.

'But this feels nice...'

The puppy hugged the bunny tighter, whispering a muffled, "thank you" as Wonyoung continued to hum.

'Wonyoung...'

'What did I do to deserve you?'