37

PoV: Sonic

"Okay... shower felt amazing~" I collapsed onto the bed. I felt relieved from today.

"Here you go, Mistress. I went ahead and gave him a sponge bath. The pediatrician will be here soon. The formula has arrived and we have a bottle ready. Miles still had his umbilical cord has yet to fall off. That means this baby is only a few days old. He cannot be separated from his mother. The first ten days are extremely important. You won't be able to take him outside again," the maid from before handed me Miles so I could lay with him.

"You really think so? You know more about this than I ever could," I reached for the letter.

"I once worked as a Nana for several families. If you ever need advice, sir, just call for his Nana Rosie," the woodchuck maid smiled.

"I really can't thank you enough Rosie..." I stared at the letter.

"If you don't mind me asking, how did you acquire Miles?" She handed me the warm bottle as Miles started crying, "Hold it at a slight angle," I followed every instruction she gave me, "Very good Sir."

"I uh... Another fight between gangs broke out today. I ran off in hopes I could help out the civilians with my old coworkers but... instead, this woman ran to me begging for help. I helped her away from battle but we were followed. She handed him to me and Knuckles pulled me away but not before a shot was fired... I only have some idea of what happened to her... And this letter was with him in the blanket but... I don't think I should open it, Scourge won't let me keep him. I don't think I should, I don't know anything about raising a baby... but if the gang finds him, they'll hurt him. I don't even know which gang is after him. And with his two tails he'll be easy to find-"

"You want to protect him. I can see it in your face that you don't want to trust him to someone else," she chuckled, "You can't fool this old woman, Sir. I'm sure the Master will understand. No one knows how to raise a child. Books only show you how to keep them alive. It's your job to show them right and wrong and to guide them on the right path. Miles will grow up to be his own person. The question is, do you want to help him find out who he is or not?" She held out a letter opener.

  I looked down at Miles as he fed. He was so quiet, and happily drinking away. She's right... I want to protect him...

"Open the letter, please. And... we'll need to go out to buy a few things if Scourge agrees," I answered, tilting the bottle slightly upwards so Miles could have more milk.

"Very good Sir," she opened the letter and handed me the paper inside.

  Thank you,

  I cannot reveal to you my name, but I am thankful. Miles was born on the 16th of October, he is only a few days old when this reaches you. Please raise him well, let him have a joyful childhood I could not give him. I will be killed because of mistakes made by myself and my husband. They wish to kill Miles, so please protect him well. I cannot be there to raise him, to protect him. When he is 16, please give him these keys to the Mobius Bank. Our gift to him remains inside. Until he is eighteen, please let him grow to be happy...

  Goodbye, my baby boy.

"Are you alright sir?" Rosie handed me a tissue.

"Y-yeah... I'm okay... I just," I sighed and wiped my tears, "I need to talk to Scourge... when he gets home. Please let him know when he arrives."

"Of course sir. Would you like me to change his diaper now?" She pulled a diaper from her apron.