15

PoV: Sonic

Damn it... Why is it still bugging me?! I felt so guilty... The ring was returned and Scourge got his money back, but... that didn't mean Scourge had to return his own too.

Still, that one look he had never seemed to show up again around me.

"Sonic, something's bothering you. What is it?" Scourge asked as we sat down for breakfast.

"Hm? Oh, nothing really," I kept eating as he stared at me.

"You're lying. You're easier to read than you think," he wasn't giving up.

"Is that so? Well..." I need an excuse... something that won't hurt his feelings... "I'm just kinda bored is all. I'd like to go back to work," I mean, I am working right now, but I want to go back on patrols like I used to.

"Back to work? As an officer?"

"Yeah... I-"

"No," he said, "You can go outside all you want so long as you tell the guards you want to leave."

"I can't just be here all the time. I'll go crazy doing nothing," somehow this turned into an actual argument.

"No! I won't have you be a cop and risk your life. I already told you, your face has to be the last thing I see before die. If you'd like, you can get a hobby or two. Just so long as it isn't working with criminals," he picked up his glass, acting like the fight was over.

"I'm already around a bunch of criminals. I'd have more chances of getting shot here than anywhere else," I left after losing my appetite.

I walked out to the garden and sat in the grass. Am I really going to be stuck here for three years?

"Wasn't that their first fight?"

"It was. Scourge is just protecting him."

Crap... everyone was listening...

I wandered around and eventually found the front door. The gate kept me from the street. I wanted to leave and go back to my old apartment but... I don't have it anymore.

"You want to go somewhere?" One of Scourge's bodyguards walked up to me.

"Yeah, take me to the police station so I can start my shift. I'll be ready to go in twenty minutes or less," I started walking back and I made it back to the room. Scourge wasn't here, according to the maids, he was out with his friends. I found my police uniform and stuffed it into my bag. I left with the guard. He drove me in his car and took me to the station like I asked. In all honesty... I was scared the entire ride. I wasn't sure if he was going to pull something or take me right back to Scourges' mansion.

"Don't look back here," I glared at the guard.

"R-right," he looked away as I changed into my uniform and stuffed my clothes into my bag.

"You can pick me up in a few hours," I started to get out of the car but he followed me, "You can leave me alone now. I'm fine by myself."

"Our orders are to constantly accompany you outside the mansion until you want to return," he answered.

"Fine. So long as you don't say a word to Scourge," I walked in and I kept getting looks. You made me do it... Stop staring.

"Rookie?!" The chief looked like he was staring at a ghost, "You got out of there!"

"Not exactly. I was forced to marry a criminal, I've had nothing to do so I came back here to work until I can file us for divorce. You asked for two years of peace and you got it from Scourge. Not me," I walked past him and grabbed two pairs of handcuffs.

"Well Rookie, how about going on a case to make up for it?" He said.

"Sonic won't be doing any dangerous cases. Handling patrols is fine," the guard said.

"Who are you to control my life," I growled.

"I'm the only thing keeping Scourge from finding out you left," he whispered that fact into my ear and I took a breath.

"A patrol near the park is all I want," I said.

"Right, of course," the chief left and the guard took me to the park with his car instead of a police car. I took a radio with me in case something happened. It was boring, nothing ever happened at the park other than citizens getting high. And potheads weren't a threat to anyone. Alcoholics were the dangerous ones since they often became aggressive.

Well, it's better than nothing.

I went home after the patrol was over. I made sure to change and Lucky for me, Scourge was still out on business. I decided to shower and then head to bed until he came back.

This should be good for now. At least I can get out of the house for a few hours. But... it really is boring when Scourge isn't trying to have sex...

Why do people want to get married and stay at home anyway? Scourge, what the hell were you thinking?

Why marry me?

~~~