Chapter 26

As I was washing the gold, I caught JJ staring me. "Jay why are you staring at me" I asked. "I'm just enjoying the view of my beautiful girl friend" JJ said as he wrapped his arms around my waist. "I love you" I said. "I love you more" JJ said. "Sure you do" I teased. "I do" JJ said then kissed me passionately.

Me and JJ walked hand an hand to the Twinkie to give Kie the gold. "Kie! This better work" JJ said throwing the gold next to Kie's feet. "We can't pawn this if there's a giant wheat symbol on it" JJ said pulling me into his side. "It's gonna work" Kie said. We watched Kie melt down the gold then we headed to the pawn shop.

"Hell of a job melting it down Dr. Frankenstein" JJ said. "Like you could've done better" Kie said. "I could have. I took a welding class" JJ said. "When" Kie asked. "He did. I went with him" I said. "Guys, chill out" JohnB said. "Easy for you to say. You're not the one that has to pawn this piece of shit off. How did me and Steph get this job anyway" JJ asked. "Cause you two are the best liars" Pope said.

"Afternoon, ma'am" JJ said as we walked in the pawn shop. Me and JJ went to the counter as everyone else explored. "Afternoon" the cashier said. "I see you buy gold" JJ said. "That's what the sign say, don't it" the lady said. "Well, I sure hope you buy a lot of it because I'm about to blow your mind" JJ said getting out the gold. "I ain't got much mind left to blow, so have at it" the lady said. "How about them gold apples" JJ asked.

"That ain't real" the lady said. "That ain't real" JJ asked. "It can't be" the lady said. "Feel how heavy it is" I said as the lady picked up the gold. "Let's get some light on that" JJ said. "Spray painted tungsten" the lady said shinning a light on the gold. "Spray painted tungsten? Really? Okay" JJ said. "Why don't you see how, soft it is" I said. "You mind" she asked.

"No, go for it" JJ said. The lady checked to how soft It was. "Wow. Would you look at that" JJ said. "Hold your horses. We ain't got to the acid test yet" the lady. "Ooh! The acid test. My favorite guys" JJ said. The lady put a small drop of acid on the gold. "Well, it ain't plated, and it ain't painted" the lady said.

"Ma'am, I'm telling ya, this is as real as the day is long" JJ said. "It looks like somebody tried to melt it down" the lady said. "My mom. She had all this jewelry laying around the house, and she thought it was best to melt it down. To 'consolidate' it" JJ said. "Seven pounds" the lady said after she weighed the gold. "That's a lot of earrings" the lady said.

"Okay, to be honest, ma'am it's hard to see my mom fall apart with Alzheimer's" JJ said. I wrapped my arms around JJ. "Your mom is going to be okay babe" I told JJ, playing a long with his lie. "Give me a minute" the lady said going to the back of the store. "Take your time ma'am" JJ said In a sad voice as she walked away. "You two could be actors" Pope said when the lady was gone. "Thanks. I've had plenty of practice" I said. "You did great" JJ said. "Thanks. You did great to" I said. "Thank you. Here she's comes" JJ said.

"I talked to my boss" the lady said. "And" me and JJ said in sync. "And, uh, this is what I can do" the lady said handing JJ a piece of paper. "Fifty thousand? You think I walked in here not knowin the spot price? Ma'am, I know for a fact this is worth 140,at least" JJ said. "Well, sweetie, you in a pawnshop. This ain't Zurich. Do I look Swiss to you" the lady asked.

"Ninety, or we walk" I said, JJ look surprised when I took charge. "Seventy. Half price and, um I don't ask questions about where you got this" the lady said. I looked up at JJ and he looked at JohnB who gave us a thumbs up.

"I'm gonna need that in large denominations, please" JJ said. "Well, here's the snag. I don't have that much denominated, not here anyway. I can write you a cashier's check" the lady said. "No ma'am. I want the cold hard. That's what that sign says. Cash for gold. And that's what I expect. I'm gonna get it in cold hard" JJ said. "Well, I have to send you to the warehouse. I have the money there. Is that all right" the lady asked. "Where's this warehouse" JJ asked. The lady gave us the address and now we are headed to the warehouse.