Chapter 31

Me and JJ woke up on the beach and then we took the Pogue back to the chateau. When we got there we saw JohnB, Char, and Kie on the dock.

"You sure he got everything" Kie asked. "Every bar. The whole enchilada" JohnB said as he and Char tired to take off his cast. Ward took the gold. "Look, it's not like I expected a happy ending or some shit" JohnB said throwing his cast. "JohnB" Kie said. "What, Kie? It's a hairline fracture. Who cares" JohnB said laying his head in Char's lap so she could play with his hair.

"You should care. Your arm's gonna be messed up for life" Kie said. "It's fine. See" JohnB said wiggling his fingers. "Quick question? What's going on with you two" I asked Char and JohnB. "That's a good question Steph. What's happening here" JJ said wrapping his arm around my waist.

Char looked at JohnB. "Char is now my girlfriend" JohnB said. "Holy shit! Char we did it! We both got with our crushes" I said excitedly. "I know" Char said and kissed JohnB. "Guys" We all turned our heads to see Pope running to us.

"Oh! Oh! Oh, God. I ran all the way here" Pope said trying to catch his breath. "You all right" I asked. "How was the interview, Pope" JJ asked. "I'm fine and don't ask. JB. Look, I'm sorry, dude. About everything" Pope said. "It's fine" JohnB said. "But I don't have a lot of time, and I have information that is tactically relevant. So, before I had my interview, my dad said he was going down to the private airstrip to cut palms for Cameron's big plane. Because it was too heavy, it needed a longer landing strip to take off. So, I'm there sitting in my interview, thinking to myself, hm. Why would Cameron need a longer airstrip to take off? What could be so heavy to weigh it down" Pope explained.

"Gold" JJ said. "Exactly. Guys, this is our chance, but it leaves tonight, and we have to go" Pope said. "Guys, we can't give up now" Kie said. "What's the plan, big man" JJ asked. "We're gonna steal that shit back" JohnB said.  Char's phone rings. "Hello. Hey mom. Slow down. Ok I'm coming home" Char said and ended the call. "Guys I can't help you something is wrong with my mom" Char said. "It's ok go. We got this. Everything is gonna be ok" JohnB said and kissed Char on the forehead. Char quickly ran off in the direction of her house.

"Let's do this" Pope yelled as we ran to the Twinkie. On the way to the airstrip we made a plan. "We go in there, guns a blazin, make Ward Cameron beg for mercy, abscond with as much gold as possible and vamonos, get the hell out of there" JJ said as he loaded his gun. "Down the Intracoastal" JohnB said. "Wait for the weather" Kie said. "Exit to Cuba" Pope said.

"Cuba? No, man, Xcalak, jewel of the Yucatan. Lobsters so thick, mangoes, and no word for money" JJ said. "It sounds like heaven. You, me, gold, lobsters, mangoes, it couldn't get any better than that" I said kissing JJ's cheek. "No it couldn't" JJ said then he kissed me gently. "Let's do this shit" JohnB said.

We get out of the Twinkie and ran to the fence. "What's the plan? Broad strokes" Kie asked. "I don't think we got that far" JohnB said as Pope pulled out binoculars. "They're loading up the gold" Pope said then JohnB grabbed the binoculars from Pope. "There's Ward" JohnB said then JohnB face went pale with fear. "What" I asked. "He has Char" JohnB said panic in his voice. "What" I said I'm now panic to. "He's hurting her" JohnB said a dropped the binoculars, then JohnB ran to the Twinkie.

"Hey" we all yelled at JohnB. "What are you doing" Pope yelled. Then JohnB started driving towards the fence as we a yelled at him. "JJ look out" I yelled then pushed JJ out of the way and landed on top of him. "You ok" I asked. "Yeah I'm fine, you" JJ asked. "I'm alright" I said the I got off JJ and JJ got up and we watch as JohnB drives onto the airstrip.

The JohnB pulls the Twinkie in front of the plane and stops. I turn around and hide my face in JJ's chest and JJ holds me tight. "He's ok" JJ said loossing his grip on me. I turned around in his arms to watch everything unfold.

All of the sudden sirens sounded. "Guys, I can't get arrested" Pope said. "I'm on probation" JJ said. "Look, we're no good if we're all in jail" Kie said. "There's a junkyard not far from here" I said. "Then let's go" Kie said and we ran to the junkyard.

At the junkyard we watch the plane fly over our heads. "There goes the gold. Shit" JJ said and kicked a chair. "Son of a bitch" I yelled. "Fuck" Pope yelled as he threw a rock at some glass that is now shattered. "Pope" Kie said. "God damnit! Shit! Fuck! Shit! Damn it" Pope yelled as he destroyed everything in his path. "Pope" Kie said as Pope sat down on a bench. "Yeah dude. I was wondering when this was gonna happen. Here you go chief" JJ said holding his vape out for Pope.

"A little weed never hurt no one" JJ said. "JJ" Kie said. "Relax, kie" JJ said. "You know he doesn't smoke" Kie said as Pope took the vape out of JJ's hand. "Well maybe not until today" JJ said. "The weed will help keep you calm" I told Pope. "Pope. Yeah, what is that gonna help" Kie asked. "I lost my scholarship. Walked out in the middle of the interview. It's gone. It's not gonna happen" Pope said. "You did that for us" Kie asked. "No, not for us. For nothing" Pope said. "We're here for you Pope" JJ said as we both gave Pope a side hug. "Welcome to our world, okay" JJ said.

"JJ, Steph" Kie said. "What, kie? He's right" Me and JJ said. "It doesn't matter anymore" JJ said. "You don't have to do that" Kie said as Pope hit JJ's vape. "What do you care" Pope asked. We turned around to see JohnB and Char standing there. "Guys, you good" JJ asked as me and him ran to them. "What happened" I asked. JJ grabbed JohnB's hand "is this yours" JJ asked holding JohnB's bloody hand up. "Whose blood is that" Kie asked. "It's Sheriff Peterkin" Char said. "What" me and JJ said we both had wide eyes. "Rafe. Rafe killed Peterkin" Char said.