Chapter 32

As the sun goes down we are headed to the police station. Kie's driving her car, Char was sitting in the passenger seat. JohnB and Pope sat in the backseat and me and JJ sat in the trunk.

"JohnB, what are we doing at the police station"JJ asked. "Somebody's gotta tell them what happened" JohnB said. "I have a bad feeling about this" I said. Pope starts coughing uncontrollably.

"Easy there, chief. Damn" JJ said to Pope who inhaled to much weed. "Pope don't inhale so much. Jeez" I said. "All right. I'm just gonna be real with you right now. You might end up in the lion's den, but you don't go there on purpose. It's fundamental. Just like my old man always told me, you should never ever trust cops, no matter what the circumstances is" JJ said.

"Your old man's an abusive liar" Kie said. "He doesn't need the remainder Kie. And JJ I agree with you" I said. "I agree with JJ too" Pope said. "Fuck the police" Me, JJ, and Pope said in snyc. "You goin to the dark side now" Char and Kie asked Pope.

"When's the last time the police helped us" Pope snapped. "Peterkin looked out for me, all right. Tried to, at least. They need to know" JohnB said. "I will go with you" Char said then they both got out of the car and went inside the police station.

"Babygirl, what's wrong" JJ asked me as he ran his fingers through my hair. I was sitting on his lap with my head on his chest. "I have a bad feeling about this" I said. A few minutes later JohnB and Char ran out of the police station.

"Kie! Start the car" JohnB yelled. "Start the car! Start the car" Char and JohnB yelled getting into the car. "What happened? What did you do" We asked Char and JohnB. Two police officers ran out after them. "Go, drive Kie. Go" we all yelled.

One officer grabbed JohnB's door. "Open it" Pope said. JohnB opened the door and the officer fell to the ground. "Ok. What the hell just happened" I asked calmly. "They think me and Char killed Peterkin" JohnB said then we all went silent.

Kie droves us to an abandoned building and we hid there in the car. Me and JJ lay down in the trunk of the car. Char and JohnB cuddle in the backseat and kie and Pope slept up front. I slowly opened my eyes as JJ played with my hair. "Morning baby girl" JJ said. "Morning babe" I said then JJ kissed the top of my head.

"Good news for residents of Outer Banks. Dominion Power says their underwater transmission line, which will restore power to 90 percent of the area should be functional within 24 hours. And still no arrest in the shooting death of Sheriff Susan Peterkin. The state police have issued a statement regarding two local people of interest, two juveniles from.... " the broadcaster said before Kie turned off the radio.

"Let's game this out. Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all, but, who are the cops going to believe? Ward Cameron or us? So the accuser is a big shot developer, kind of lord of the island, got the governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused is JohnB and Char, who is pretty much a homeless 16 year old boy at the moment and a 16 year old smart girl that only has her not so good mother" JJ said while he smokes.

"Thanks" JohnB said as JJ passes me the blunt. "Sounds about right" Char said. "Shit" Pope mumbled. "Okay man. Yucatan, all right? I'm saying that's the only option. What other option do y'all have" JJ said. "Enough with the Mexico bullshit" JohnB hissed.

"Look JJ's right. I don't want you two to leave but you have to go before it gets to bad" I said, JJ kissed my cheek. "The ferry. It's the only way" Pope said. "Exit stage left while you guys still can. Before the entire island is on lockdown" JJ said as a police car with its sirens on drove pasted. "Guys, just get down" Kie said and we all got down so the cops couldn't see us in the car.

"You guys can't stay here" I said. We wait a few more hours for the heat to die down then we headed into town for the ferry. Char and JohnB  have the backseats laying down so the can't be seen and me and JJ are still sitting in the trunk and Pope is now driving and Kie is in the passenger seat.

Pope walks back to the car. "Okay. All right, no" Pope said in panic. "Pope, can you act normal" Kie hissed. "So um.... Okay, so bad news. The ferry's closed, and there is this" Pope said handing Kie two flyers. "Shit" Kie said and handed the flyers to JJ and me. "What is that" JohnB and Char asked.

"Well, JohnB, Char, uh these are good framers of you guys" JJ said showing them the two wanted posters. "Okay, so the whole island's lookin for JohnB and Char right now" Pope said. "That's a lot of money" Kie said. "Congratulations, JohnB and Char. You guys are famous" JJ said. "Sadly not the good kind of famous" I said.

"Guys, we got to get to the HMS. It's small, no running lights" Kie said. "It's at the Chateau, Kie" JohnB said. "And I wonder if the cops got the entire place staked out. Oh yeah, no. They definitely have that place locked down" JJ said. "Jesus Christ. We really can't catch a break" Char said. "No we can't Char" I said.

"Yeah, copy that" Kie said. "Let me think. Just give me a second. JJ" Pope said. "What" JJ asked. "Does your dad still have that boat? The cigarette boat, the Phantom. The one he used to race" Pope asked and I felt JJ tense up. I held JJ's hand and mine and rubbed the back of his hand with my thumb in soothing circles. "Maybe" JJ answered nervously.

"You could get right up the coast, no problem" Pope said. "It won't be easy, Pope" JJ said as I continue to rub soothing circles on the back of his hand. "Okay, look. The surf's running from three to four" Kie said. "I don't know where the keys are" JJ said. "Well, find them" Pope said. "I'm thinking" JJ said his voice full of stress.

"Why is nobody moving forward" Pope said while looking at the cars in front of us. "Can you relax? JJ, Steph, how much weed did you guys give him" Kie asked. "Guys. Your car's on the poster" JohnB said. "Can we move it" Pope said honking the horn. "Pope stop" Char said. "Pope that's not going to help" Kie said.

"Mom. Look. It's that guy and girl. Right there" A little boy said point at our car. "Shit" Kie said. "We got a snitch. Pope, turn the car on" JJ said. "JJ if we have kids we have to teach how not to be snitchs" I said. "We get $25, 000 if we find them" The little boy said. "Hey. Their right there! I founded them" A man said looking through the backseat window right at JohnB and Char.

"Hey! We gotta go" Kie yelled. "Turn the car on" me and JJ yelled. "I found him first" The little boy yelled. "The hell you did, you little bastard" The man yelled. "Pope, turn the frickin car on" Kie yelled. "I'm trying" Pope said. Pope finally got the car to start and he put it in drive and hit that car in front of us. JJ pulled me into his chest and slammed his hand on the seat in front of us, he stop me from hitting my head. "Dude back up" Kie snapped.

Pope pushed the car forward and drove away from town, the cops will catch up to us soon. "What are you doing" Kie yelled at Pope. "You alright baby girl" JJ asked me. "Yeah, thank you" I said and placed a loving kiss on his neck. "Anything for you" he said smiling down at me. "Watch out! Pope! Whoa, whoa, whoa, watch out" Kie yelled then Pope hit a mailbox.

"Oh, my God" Pope yelled happily. "Pope" we all yelled. "I'm livin my best life now" Pope said. "My mom'll kill me" Kie said. "I should be that last to say this, but you are not okay to drive. Stop" JJ said then Pope slammed on breaks and JJ stopped me from hitting my head again.

"JohnB, Char get out" Pope said. "He's right. We'll draw the cops, you two run. I'll get the rig, and I'll meet you in the dump tomorrow, okay. Three o'clock, okay" JJ said. "Yeah" JohnB said and he opened the car door and him and Char got out. "Be careful" I said. "We will" Char said. "Three tomorrow at the dump" JJ said as that ran away from the car. And we drove away try to get away from the cops.