Chapter XI

Smaug took a deep breath in, his chest swelled and glowed then fire erupted onto the wooden houses. I kissed Kili's cheek.

"Go get out of here, I'll meet you on dry land" I told him turning into my wolf, I took Bards children on my back, as there was a path leading to dry land which was hidden and I was the only one who knew about it. Just as I thought our path was clear, a piece of flaming timber dropped in front of me, another one behind me knocking my flank, causing me to pine and one on my left side. I panicked. "Carry on following the path, meet up with the Dwarves and I'll meet you there" I told them as they got off my back.

But the boy went one way, I wanted to run and stop him but Smaug spotted me, so I jumped into the river and Smaug breathed on the surface, but I came up just as he stopped and the fire dissipated into nothing, just when I thought I was safe I felt claws wrap around my well built frame, he began to squeeze tighter but he flew around a house and threw me into the burning building.

"You tried to destroy me, now I am going to destroy you" Smaug threatened me.

"You can try but you will fail" I replied.
I just pined and shook my coat and then leapt back up, the smoke was beginning to settle deep in my lungs and I was beginning to cough, till my chest was sore.

I tried to find an escape route but everywhere was blocked, I followed the docks along, but Smaug breathed his firery vengeance straight down the path I was following, at the last moment I dashed into a side street, it gave me time to collect my breath and to look around.

Everyone was fleeing the city, but just as I was about to run and escape to my Kili, I looked up and noticed Bard was trying to shoot the dragon he tried many times but the arrows bounced off his thick, tough Hyde, but then I noticed Smaug was hit, but not with an ordinary arrow a black arrow, the one Bards father made. Smaug cried out in a roar before going down and landing on the Kings boat as he tried to escape with the gold.

The path I wanted to take was engulfed in flames, I jumped into the lake, and swam to the people of Lake Town who clustered on the shores just off their town, they were pulling their dead out of the water and what possessions they had left, while crying, wailing and screaming, I was tiring but just as my paws were about to give up my front paw touched the wet ground. Where I began to shiver and cough again as the smoke that had collected in my lungs were still chocking me.

I was tired and I collapsed onto the ground. "Abrax!" I heard 3 voices call.

I looked over and I saw Kili, Fili and Bofur running over, I got up and bounded over to them and Kili hugged my huge neck. I turned into human in Kilis arms. "We need to get to Erebor" I reminded him. "Kili you ride with me" I told him.

I whistled for my Pegasus who came flapping down happily, I mounted him taking Kili, Fili and Bofur by the hand and pulling them up on my Pegasus' back we then flew up to the mountain, my Pegasus touched down delicately, they dismounted and ran into the mountain while I guarded the outside.

My Pegasus and I pacing up and down, we noticed that people from Lake Town were beginning to stay in the ruins opposite the mountain. I rushed in and headed to Thorin who was in his grandfathers throne room.

"The people of lake town are moving into the ruins of the city" I told him.

"They must leave" he ordered.

"I will not be their executioner" I replied standing up to him.

"You're a mercenary after all, are you not?" he quizzed me walking around me. "Think of the many innocents you have been paid to kill" he reminded me.

"What kind of a king are you?" I snarled.

"Who are you to question me?" he growled reaching for his sword.

"Thorin I am immortal you can't kill me, but you can try" I warned him. He did, not i grabbed his arm and said "its nice to see you would take on one of your own"

Dwalin soon joined us, I threw Thorins arm down, I stormed out but Thorin threw his sword at me, I caught it with out looking and threw it over the side, it fell and landed on the floor with a clang which rang out and echoed around the great palace, I shoulder barged Dwalin so I could get past.

Fili didn't realise I was around the corner as I was hidden, but I heard him talking about me to him. "Kili I think you should let Abrax go, we won't win this war if you worry about her safety" he said.

"I love her" Kili replied.

"I know, but we've all got to make sacrifices" Fili added.

"But she helped us get this far, we can't just throw her out" he reminded him.

"Blood is thicker, than love" Fili answered.

'Thanks Fili, I get the message' I told him telepathically.

"Abrax wait!" he called to me, but I had already turned my back on him, I was advancing to my Pegasus, once I reached him he could tell I was upset. The only object I left for Kili was my horse helmet, as I left it on the side for him.

My Pegasus shot up into the sky just as Fili and Kili came running out to me "Abrax" Kili called me, I just ignored him.

I could see everything from the sky, but everything was quiet. I flew down to the people of Lake Town I went straight to Bard.

"I am here to help you, as its been revealed I am no longer wanted" I said tears coming to my eyes.

Bard just pulled me in for a hug, but the sneezy Alfrid walked over. "Has she been abandoned by her little man?" he teased.

I just let go of Bard and punched Alfrid knocking him on to the floor. "You and Alfrid take the night watch" Bard told us, so I settled on the wall sharpening my dagger while Alfrid moaned at me to stop.

"Or what?" I snarled letting a growl rip through me.

Alfrid backed off and he fell asleep, while I paced up and down, I heard a clattering of armour, I looked up and coming towards us was an army of elves.

So I ran to find Bard, who was awake. "Thandruils army is marching straight for us" I told him.

Please vote and comment.