40. Stinky Bar

"Jungkook.." the little girl in my arms mumbles to gain my attention as I tilt my head to look at her with uttermost tender and admiration.

"Yes sweetheart" I caress her hair to bring her the calmness she needs the most at times like these when she's scared to speak something that she thinks might upset me.

"Do you believe all the things that Jimin says?" she murmurs against my chest as we stay in the room to not go outside yet.

I take a moment to contemplate whether it's better to lie to her or to tell her the truth. I don't intend to pressure her more than what she's suffering right now. But I also don't want to lie to her and keep things behind her back. As her partner, it's my job to speak my thoughts with her, to share my views and to take her opinions, suggestions and advice for my problems.

But as her partner, it's also my job to keep her happy and not give her anxiety each and everyday, thinking about life and death, imagining being caught and expelled or more worse beheaded infront of the whole town. Fearing to open the door, wondering who'll be on the other side of the wooden barrier, heartbeat in her throat every time there's a loud noise outside or if there's a gunshot nearby.

Does she deserve this all? Have I done a mistake in bringing her away with me to this big unknown city where we can't even be in the public as normal couples without getting caught? Have I trapped her here with me?

I gulp a thick amount of saliva, heart hammering against my chest as I look down at her, those features that barely resemble the little her, the little girl with whom I once played 'house, house' with, who now has turned into a beautiful woman, a person who's staying with the piece of shit; me, struggling with me every morning, starving at times because we have no grains to even feed our empty stomachs, but she is here to listen to me, here without any complaint about how her life is, helping me to work on my better self. I don't think I should lie to her.

"Not completely. I'm still not sure if he is on our side or the enemy's side. He is a born liar and when it comes to saving himself at life-threatening situations like these, he doesn't hesitate to even lie about his birth" I swallow hard at this bitter truth, having been by his side for years has given me the knowledge of what hyung is capable of.

"There's no other way out of this now, is there?" she looks into my eyes, her brown orbs shining with unshead tears.

"There is... Just.. Just trust me okay? I'll do everything I can to get them off our tail" I press a kiss on her forehead, a sigh escaping her lips as she melts into my arms.

The sun outside is blazing hot, the bustling of the city outside is numbing my thoughts, but the girl in my arms is the reason I'm alive, and sane. The sooner this is over the faster we'll be able to travel to the North.

"We should go back to the main room. They must be discussing about the plans of my father and guess what he can do to get to us" I speak in her ear, rubbing her arms with my palm as she nods her head without giving me an answer. She doesn't even take a glance at me as she walks back to the main room with her head bent down. Is she crying?

Fuck.

What did I do to deserve this?

I grit my teeth and take her trajectory, joining the two men in the room who still are speaking animatedly after witnessing us join the room. No one seems to fill us on the remaining information for now.

I shake my head and stand beside my woman who has now chosen to look blankly at the wall infront of us. She's overthinking, I can perceive it even from a mile. The distant look in her eyes, tightened jaw, shallow breathing, and the way she clicks her tongue every other second screams that she's overthinking, over analysing everything, contemplating her worst choices and debating if she deserves to be alive. I've witnessed it enough times to be sure that she's letting her past get into her head. It's worse at times when she doesn't hear me speak about it with her and make things better, give her the confidence she needs, give me a chance to tell her that she deserves the better world and to prove it.