They Aren't Good Enough

Author: Whynnter

I sat at the bar, a half empty glass of rum and coke in my hand. The boy that sat next to me was handsome. He had perfect sun kissed skin, short dark hair, and bright blue eyes. What I liked most about him was how hard he tried to get my attention.

I smiled and batted my eyelashes like I did when I was trying to wheel a guy in. He placed his hand on the bare skin of my leg and leaned in.

"Do you want to get out of here?"

I gave him a mischievous grin and nodded. "Give me just a minute and we can head out."

He placed a kiss on my cheek and I quickly stood up and made my way to the ladies room. I shoved the door open to see my friend who stood there waiting for me.

"He's hot," she said, leaning against the sink.

I nodded, "I've tried the last three nights to get someone to go home with me and failed. The vibrator is just not cutting it."

She laughed, "What's his name?"

"His name is Adam. He's definitely good looking, but he doesn't have much going on upstairs."

Phoenix pushed off the sink and smiled, "Well, that is not important. If you're just looking for a guy to fuck you, he'll do just fine."

"You're right." I said, checking my appearance in the mirror one last time.

Phoenix and I walked out of the bathroom together and I stopped in my tracks when I saw Adam jump off the barstool and head toward the exit.

Phoenix leaned into me, "Where's he going?"

I watched as he walked out the door and disappeared into the San Diego night.

"What the hell, I don't get it. Do I smell?" I said, turning to Phoenix.

She ignored me, pointing at something over my shoulder. I spun around quickly to see a familiar group of guys congregating around the pool table, laughing.

"They wouldn't dare." I whispered to myself as I moved toward them.

Phoenix and I walked up to the pool table, and the group of guys greeted us. I focused on one in particular, with his smug grin and his aviator sunglasses still on his face.

"Y/N." He said.

"Rooster," I said, tilting my head. "This is a stupid question, but did you-"

"Tell that guy you were talking to over at the bar to pack it up and go home? Yes, yes I did."

"I'm sorry, what?"

My friend Hangman spoke up beside me, "Rooster here has scared off the last three guys that have tried to take you home."

I looked back at Rooster who had a satisfied grin on his face, "Are you insane?"

"Are you?"

My jaw practically dropped to the floor, "Apparently! Here I was thinking there was something wrong with me, that somehow I was scaring them away!"

"You weren't, I was."

We stared at each other in silence. I didn't know what the hell was going on with him. He was always protective, but he never prevented me from living my life before.

"Outside, now." I said, not giving him a chance to deny me. Phoenix didn't say a word as I shoved past her and walked out the back door.

I walked onto the beach and only stopped walking when I reached the water. I knew Rooster was behind me as he wasn't the most graceful guy.

"I don't get it!"

He shook his head, "What don't you get?"

"What gives you the right to tell me who I can and can't sleep with?"

He scoffed, "They aren't good enough for you."

"I'm not trying to marry them, Bradley. I just want them to fuck me."

"They aren't good enough for you," he repeated.

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms in defeat, "Fine, they aren't good enough. Then who can I sleep with?"

"I really thought you were quicker than this."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

He brought his hand to his face and rubbed his eyes, "I want you, Y/N! I've always wanted you. Since the day I met you and you wore that tiny black dress that hung off your shoulders. It made me lose my damn mind."

"What? But, when I met you, you were dating Kelli."

He nodded, "Yeah, and I ended up breaking up with her a few days later. I felt guilty because I couldn't stop thinking about you."

I stared at him thinking back to that day almost a year ago. "Why the hell didn't you say anything?"

"Come on, Y/N. All the guys wanted you. You're gorgeous, and funny. You're also one of the best pilots I've ever met."

I was so confused. "Why didn't you tell me how you felt?"

"You didn't give me the time of day! I felt like you were more into Hangman, and Payback." He said, taking a few steps closer to me.

My head was hurting. "Not at all. I mean, they are good looking, but they are like brothers to me." I took a step toward him this time, "Since the day I met you, every time I've seen you at the bar you've had a hoard of girls around you."

"Yeah, girls that helped me keep my mind off of you. You were the girl I couldn't have but always wanted."

"But you could have had me." I said, not realizing I said it until after it had already come out.

"Could have? Are you telling me I had a chance and I missed it?"

I took one final step, closing the gap between us, "You could have, and you still can." I whispered, pressing my hand to his chest. His heart was racing, and so was mine. "I can't lie. I've always wondered what it would be like with you."

His arm wrapped around my waist, pulling me close, "No you didn't, stop lying."

I playfully pinched him as he leaned into me, his lips hovering just over mine. I let him linger there for a moment as I ran my nails over his forearm.

"Do you want to get out of here?" I asked him, running my fingers through his hair.

He couldn't take it much longer and pressed his lips to mine. I clenched his black tee shirt in my hand as he squeezed me tight. He tasted like cinnamon, his tongue warm inside my mouth. He pulled away only for a second to say, "I thought you'd never ask."