Trip to Ikea

Author: Whynnter
——
Phoenix crossed her arms and I continued tapping my foot as we waited at the top of the escalator for Rooster and Hangman to catch up. Neither of them wanted to be here, but we dragged them along knowing we may need assistance getting things home.

The two of them rounded the corner with hot pretzels and cokes in their hand. I rolled my eyes at the sight of them as Phoenix snapped a picture.

"Seriously, you are hungry already?" I asked, grabbing the coke from Rooster and taking a sip of it.

"I didn't even know they had pretzels." Phoenix added.

"It's been over an hour since we ate," Hangman chimed in, holding his pretzel over his head so Phoenix couldn't reach it.

I turned to Phoenix. "What did you just take a picture of?"

"I made a bet with Bob that they'd find the food court as soon as we got here. That was documentation."

Hangman shot her a look. "How much?"

"Fifty bucks!"

Rooster laughed, "You should have gone in on that bet, babe."

He wrapped his arm around me and I took another sip of his soda. "Phoenix and I have another bet going."

"What is it?"

I shook my head. "I can't tell you!"

A few minutes later, we finally made our way further into the store. IKEA was a dangerous place. I always ended up spending more than I want to and leaving with things I don't need, but not today! I had a list, and I was not deferring from that list.

"We should get this."

I turned to Rooster who was holding a black salad mixer, a big smile on his face.

"Baby, we already have one," I said, continuing down the aisle.

"But it's white."

"You don't even eat salad!"

He shrugged his shoulders and put it back on the shelf as Hangman came around the corner. He placed a square box into the cart and Phoenix picked it up.

"Why?" She said, shaking her head.

I grabbed it from her to see what it was and laughed, "What is this?"

"It's a toothbrush holder."

"You say that like it's obvious,"she gave it back to Hangman. "Do you really need this?"

He placed it down in the cart. "Yes."

We continued on through the store, Phoenix and I grabbing things that we needed as we went. Rooster came up behind me placed a small succulent plant in the cart in front of me.

"Isn't it so cute?"

I looked back at him as he placed a kiss on my cheek. "It's adorable, but are you going to take care of it?"

"Why would I have to take care of it"

"Because it's real, baby," I said, placing my hand on my forehead. "I'm getting a headache.

By the time we got to the end, the cart was full of random things the boys had picked out, including hanging star lights, shark curtains, a set of sheets, a desk lamp, and a stuffed dog. There was more than that, and it all just proved that asking them to come with us was a big mistake.

"What do you need these for?" I held the shark curtains up for Rooster and he shrugged.

"I don't know, we don't have curtains in the kitchen?"

I took a deep breath and looked at the tag. "They are on clearance for $5, so we can get them. However, they are not going up in the kitchen."

Phoenix grabbed the desk lamp from the cart and placed it in a bin labeled 'Clearance'.

"Excuse me, that's mine."

She turned to Hangman. "You don't even have a desk!"

"But I don't have a light on my nightstand."

She nodded and placed it back in our cart. I turned to look at Rooster but he was no longer behind me.

"Hey, where is Rooster?"

Hangman and Phoenix both turned around and Rooster was nowhere to be found.

"He was just here, where did he go?" Hangman said, pulling his phone from his pocket.

I laughed, "I don't know, but I told you he'd disappear. Where is my $50?"