Losing a friend

(a/n: TRIGGER WARNING: Death. for those who don't want to read this, skip ahead or go and read something else. for those who are choosing to continue reading this, you have been warned.)

Y/N's POV

"Hey, Melissa? I don't know if you can hear me, but..." I started tearing up. "Do you remember when we first met?" I took her hand in mine. "No one else would sit with me in class. But you did..." I wiped a tear away. My best friend, Melissa, was in a coma after being hit by a drunk driver and she had a very low chance of coming out of it. I looked over at her parents, who were trying their best to keep it together. Then I looked over at my boyfriend Gaege, who was sitting next to me.

"Remember when we...we..." I looked back at Gaege and he was starting to tearing up. "Remember when you introduced me to Gaege? And I introduced you to your girlfriend, Katie?" I looked up at Melissa's parents. "Do you want me to say anything?" "If you want to, Gaege..." I watched as he took Melissa's hand out of mine. "Hey, Melissa? Um, do you remember when we went on that holiday to Scotland? You, me, Katie and Y/N?" I burst into tears and left the room.

"I don't wanna lose her, Gaege...you, her, Katie, the boys and the girls are the only people I have left..." "I know, baby...I don't wanna lose her either..." Gaege pulled me into a hug and let me cry on his shoulder.

A FEW DAYS LATER...

Gaege and I were watching TV, or well, I was trying to watch but I couldn't concentrate. I could only think about Melissa. "Babe, are you okay?" "No..." "Are you thinking about Melissa?" "Yeah..." I sighed. Then I heard my phone buzz. I picked it up and saw I had a call coming from Katie.

"Hello?" "Y/N..." I immediately started tearing up. "Please don't tell me, Katie...please don't..." "I'm sorry, but she...she..." I felt my heart shatter into a million pieces. "Please tell me you're lying, Katie..." I looked over at Gaege and he was starting to tear up. "She...she passed away a couple hours ago..." I covered my mouth to muffle my sobs. "She's gone...our best friend is gone..." I let Gaege take my phone out of my hand and talk to Katie for a little bit before he hung up.

"She's gone..." I stared at the floor. "Oh, baby, I'm so sorry..." "Oh my god..." I burst into tears. "I'm so fucking sorry..." "My best friend is gone..." I felt Gaege hug me tight. "Why? Why did it have to be her?" "I don't know, baby..."

A FEW WEEKS LATER...

Gaege's POV

After Melissa's funeral, Y/N refused to come out of our room. She stopped filming, she stopped posting to Instagram and Twitter, she refused to talk to me.

"Y/N? Baby? Please talk to me, I'm worried about you..." I sat in the hallway, facing the bedroom door. "Baby, I miss you..." I sighed, staring at the picture of me and Y/N on my phone. Then I heard the door unlock, making me look up. I watched as she very slowly walked out, closed the door behind her and sat down next to me.

"Do you wanna talk, love?" "Y-Yeah..." I wrapped an arm around her. "I know you miss her, love..." I wiped her tears away. "But Melissa would hate to see you like this..." "I-I...I know..." Then we heard a knock at the door. "I'll get it, babe..." I went downstairs and opened the front door, seeing Katie on the other side. "Katie?" "Hey, Gaege! Um, is Y/N here?" "Yeah, she is. Cover your ears..." I watched as she did just that. "BABE! KATIE'S HERE TO SEE YOU!" I watched as she very slowly came downstairs.

"Um, Y/N? I got something for you..." I watched as Katie pulled a Build a Bear out of her bag. "Squeeze it." "Okay..." Y/N and I stared at each other as we heard a recording of Melissa's voice play. "Katie, you didn't have to do this..." Y/N started tearing up. "I feel like it can be our special way of knowing that Melissa's not truly gone, if that makes any sense..." "Thank you so much, Katie..." After she left, I stared at Y/N as she cuddled her new Build a Bear.

"Babe?" "Yeah?" I sat down next to her. "Feel better now?" "A little bit..." I sneakily took a picture of her and sent it to Katie.

Gaege: she absolutely loves it

KT: aww yay!!! I'm so happy that she does :)

I put my phone down and stared at Y/N, who was fast asleep. I leaned down and kissed her forehead, seeing a smile appear on her face when I did so.

"I may not have the Y/N I know and love back yet, I'm happy I at least got to see her for a little bit..."