Chapter XIII

CHAPTER XIII

He knocked on the front door and chuckled as he heard his mate curse under her breath after a small bang. She was still paying attention to her stubbed toe when she opened the door. Flustered to say the least, she was taken aback at the sight of a massive bouquet of wildflowers. Training her eyes upwards, his arm gave away his identity before her eyes even met his.

"Hi?" Eva greeted, clearly at a loss as to why he was there, let alone with flowers. Her hair was piled high in a bun on her head and her hand twitched with the need to make herself presentable.

"Have I got the wrong time, we were going to go for coffee?" Nate asked, knowing full well that he would never have gotten a date with his mate mixed up.

It had been eight whole days of feeling like a stalker, just waiting for the re-arranged coffee and he was beyond excited. He'd settled into a little routine; eating at the café, wearing himself out running during his rangers shift and sleeping in the canopy behind her house afterwards. He thought back to that first day as a ranger gladly as one less thing to separate them was eliminated. Bruce had taken him to a well-trodden clearing and he'd shifted on his feet as the strong odour of wolves and blood filled his nostrils. He'd been terrified that the wolves Alpha would force him to leave but other than the odd threat if he harmed any of his pack, he seemed to accept his existence. The footfall of ten large wolves had descended on them and formed a circle, preventing any source of escape. After five long minutes a man strode past one of the nearest black wolves and folded his arms as he stood just out of reach. Bruce had bowed his head towards his Alpha, muttering a greeting which was returned. Bruce had then introduced him as if there had been any doubt. "Alpha this is Nathanial Carter who has moved to this area to be with his mate Evangeline Humming's. He's starting work as a ranger with me – with your permission of course, Alpha?" Silence had persisted for a while and although he knew he should show some submission he held his upright. "I mean no harm to you or your pack. I only wish to live here with my mate and son." Nate had said, steeling himself for a fight or demand. He had ended up telling some of the story of their meeting and he noticed the sudden shuffling of paws when he regaled them with the rejection. He had dug his nails into his jeans, biting back the acidic taste the words left in his mouth. After he had finally finished, the Alpha continued to stare at him for an age. His threats followed and Nate locked his knees in place to stop from falling to the ground. The Alpha had seemed to smile at something before uttering "you may stay", and then swiftly turning and disappearing back into the woods. Bruce had patted him on the shoulder in congratulations, but Nate's mind was still processing all the descriptive threats. Shaking these off he gazed at his mate, knowing that she was worth anything that the wolves could possibly do to him.

When she made no move to speak, he proffered the flowers closer. "These are for you."

She automatically took them and thanked him, mind whirring with what to say. She'd completely forgotten and promised she'd take Dylan swimming after he'd been sent home from nursery with a good behaviour certificate. She was about to tell him this but the words died in her tongue as he looked at her with so much... hope? She was saved from answering when Dylan collided with her leg, standing on her sore toe. She winced and held in the curse and instead smiled down at her son who was waving at Nate.

"Is he taking us swimming?" Dylan asked.

Eva looked back up at him with an apologetic expression. "Sorry I forgot about coffee... I promised we would go swimming."

His shoulders sank but he tried to keep his disappointment hidden. He'd been looking forward to it all week. He hadn't managed to convince her to take him up on the offer of his car or giving her lifts and so he had to wait to see her again - there was only so many times you could accidentally bump into someone. He couldn't be sad though, how could he be when she was going to take his son swimming instead. Was it odd to be jealous of your own son! He thought for a second before he scratched it out of his mind.