CHAPTER XXIV

CHAPTER XXIV

Pacing in front of the sliding doors to the garden, she took one last swig from her coffee mug and dumped it into the kitchen sink with a sigh. She was going to go mad if she stayed in the house with him any longer. It had been five days. Five days of not going to work, nursery or even swimming. Luckily it was school holidays but they weren't going to last forever and then what? Her mind was so confused and constantly seeing his face was not helping making any decisions. He and Dylan were having a fab time, though he did sometimes seem sad when he glanced up at her and caught her staring warily.

A beep from her phone signalling a message broke the latest moment which she was glad. It was difficult to not sink into the depth of his eyes. The message was from her sister inviting them around for a catch up over tea whilst Barry took the boys out. The opportunity was too good to miss and she asked Dylan if he wanted to go. The answer was definitely yes with the way he jumped up immediately and started to jump on the spot.

Chuckling at his excitement she quickly messaged her sister back. "Go and get your shoes and coat then, it might rain." Eva said as stood up too. She paused for a second and then turned towards him who had snuck closer. An involuntary gasp left her lips and he muttered an apology. "I need to speak to her alone. My head is going crazy and-" Nate opened his mouth concerned on two counts but Eva continued before he could voice them. "I won't say anything about shifters but there is still so much my brain is aching with."

She glanced down and closed her eyes, fatigue making her feel heavy. His strong fingertips found their way to her temples and started to massage away the headache. Startled slightly she bit her lower lip and started to enjoy the sensation too much when reason broke through once more. Shaking his hands off, she didn't miss the look of hurt and stepped back for more room to breathe.

"If you think it necessary then please watch over Dylan-"

"Eva it's not safe for either of you. You need to stay together so I can protect you both," he pleaded but she shook her head.

"I'll be inside a house the whole time and in a different town altogether-"

"Eva, please-"

"No. Watch over Dylan but I need this. I need this," she repeated, tears glistening her eyes as she realised just how much it was true.

"Eva," he whispered and raised a hand to stroke her cheek but she stepped back further. The action hurt but he hated seeing his mate hurt more. His eyes continued to stare into hers as he saw the truth behind her words. Sighing, his shoukders slumped before he took her face in her hands. "Alright but any signs of trouble you call me right away, right?" He asked. He didn't like it but it was the best compromise he could think of and her small smile made him feel slightly better. "I'll keep to the shadows with Dylan. Can I drive you up and hop out before we reach the house?"

Eva was about to object but seeing as she still hadn't managed to get a new car, she needed the favour. "Thank you," she said. "That would be nice."

Dylan interrupted then with perfect timing as their gaze had locked for a little too long and little butterflies were flurrying around her chest. Snatching her purse and phone, she brushed past Nate to put on her shoes and coat too. Taking a moment to settle himself, he followed keys in hand out the front door. She was going to give him an ulcer with the stres this would cause but the last few days had been tough and he could see she had been suffering.

The drive was uneventful, and he kept a watchful eye to see if any mutts followed but the woods were clear as far as he could tell. Stopping a street away, he parked up and got out of the vehicle. He closed the open passenger door and tried to impress the seriousness of the situation. "Any hint of trouble you will call me, right?" he said earnestly as he faught the urge to encase his mate in his arms and never let go.