CHAPTER XXXVII

CHAPTER XXXVII

He took a detour on the way home but Eva didn't even seem to notice until he pulled up to park. Gazing out the window, she turned to him with questioning eyes.

"I'll be right back," Nate said as he released his seat belt.

She glanced around again and saw the pharmacy and flushed. Flinging out a hand she stopped him before he left.

"I'll go," she said, "my legs are fine," she added as he protested.

He looked at her with doubt but settled back into his seat. "Take your time, Angel," he said, hating that he couldn't join her for support but someone had to stay with Dylan - he would have asked way too many questions if they had taken the kid inside.

"Back soon," she said and Dylan waved from the back.

He watched as she exited the car and had to steady herself for a second. She waved that she was okay though and started off to the store. She grimaced as the loud bell announced her arrival. It was a small town and people loved to talk. Heading up to the counter she let out a sigh when she realised she didn't know the girl behind the counter.

"Morning after pill please," she said quietly and blushed as she had to repeat herself to be heard. The girl turned around and picked a box from the shelf and dropped it onto the counter.

"This one is for up to seventy two hours, is that okay?" Eva nodded, her legs starting to throb again. "Anything else?" She asked and Eva nibbled on her lower lip and then pointed at a box of condoms.

"What size?"

"Extra large," she said and the girl couldn't help but raise an eyebrow.

"How many? We have ten, twenty or fifty in that size." She said pointing along a row.

"Fifty," Eva said hurriedly, wanting to get out of there before anyone she knew came in.

"Anything else?" The girl said depositing them onto the counter too.

"No, that's it." She said and showed her card ready to pay.

"That comes to nineteen pounds ninety nine."

"Great," she said and pressed her card against the reader, snatching the paper bag and hurried out as fast as her legs could take her.

All back settled into the house, Dylan headed straight for his power ranger toys and Nate followed Eva into the kitchen.

She dug into the bag and extracted the box, levering open the end.

"Eva..." Nate began and stalled as her big eyes turned on him.

"I know I suggested it but I'm happy either way. I'm here to stay. If we've...If you're," he said as he laid a hand against her belly. "You...you wouldn't have to be alone this time," Nate said.

Eva's mouth dropped open and she gulped as she took in his slightly hopeful gaze.

"Nate..."

"Forget it, sorry," he said and withdrew his hand. "I shouldn't have said anything."

"It's too soon. We only just... Nate it's only been like ten days when I found out who you were. Getting pregnant would not be slow."

"You're right. Sorry I got carried away," he said nodding as he tried his best to hide his disappointment.

"I meant what I said to Dylan though. One day..." she said and then trailed off. "But I'm not ready yet."

He tried to smile but it didn't reach his eyes. Bridging the gap, she hugged him tightly and after a second he squeezed her tightly back. Resting her head on his chest she wondered how she hadn't realised who he was when they bumped into each other.