Second chances - Chapter XVI

CHAPTER XVI

"How's Belly doing?" Nate asked as they watched Dylan run around with his toy aeroplane.

"Okay. She's putting on some weight and started counselling but there's still a long way to go. There wasn't a different group home in the area though, so she is being moved away. I won't be able to check in as much but I think it will be good for her." Eva muttered as she rubbed her arms. Picking up her discarded cardigan, she tugged it back into place only to see him awkwardly holding his jacket out. He dropped his arm, and replaced it onto his frame.

"That's good then," Nate said, he thought relocation was definitely a good idea. Plus maybe, the more she improved the less his mate would worry. He was happy that Belly was doing better but selfishly he was perhaps more happy what it would do for Eva. It had been driving him nuts not being able to support and comfort her as he wanted. He daren't even give her another hug as the next day had been somewhat awkward.

"Make me fly," Dylan asked excitedly as he ran up to them.

"Dylan," Eva sanctioned with a frown.

"Please, please make me fly," Dylan asked as he hopped excitedly up and down.

"Alright kiddo," Nate said and jogged down onto the grass. Dylan ran to meet him and with one swift movement, he picked Dylan up intot he air.

"Spread your wings," Nate said and watched as Dylan's arms went wide as his little legs kicked. Dylan giggled as Nate ducked and swerved across the grass and then fell down into a heap, feigning fatigue.

Dylan giggled and jumped up and down on his chest. "Again, again, again."

Nate wiggled his fingers and Dylan screeched, reeling backwards but not soon enough. Dylan screeched and giggled under Nate's tickling until Eva snatched him up.

Dylan stuck his tongue out at Nate who was still laughing on the floor. Eva narrowed her eyes suspiciously as they nodded at each other. Not a second later she was being attacked by both Dylan and Nate. She dropped to the floor to retaliate but mainly targeted Dylan. Dylan had enough though and wriggled free. It caught her off guard, and she fell heavily on top of Nate. Scrambling upright, she froze when she found herself inches away from his lips. Nate gulped, hands frozen against her bare skin from where her shirt had ridden up. Her breath fell against his lips and his parted, thinking for a second that she was going to kiss him. It took a second for her to catch up, but she scrambled back onto her feet with an awkward laugh. Nate dropped his head back into the grass, closed his eyes and twisted onto his knees to get up so that he could check he was still decent. She had felt incredible and even separated, he was fighting temptation to just pull her back into him. Eva was far too busy trying to distract herself to notice him struggle, focusing on calming her own heart down.

"Shall we go swimming?" Eva asked. "It's your lesson soon."

Dylan nodded, hands clapping and only then did Eva glance back at Nate. Biting her lip in embarrassment, she was disappointed to see that he didn't seem at all flustered like she still felt.

He certainly felt it though, and nodded to her silent question. His control was certainly going to be tested today it seemed.

The pool however was closed for maintenance when they arrived and he couldn't help but be thankful. Dylan however was upset and folded his little arms over his chest on the way home. Spotting a poster that might cheer him up, he pointed it out to Eva who smiled in thanks.

"Dylan, do you want to go feed some goats?" Eva asked and Dylan scrunched up his face but it brightened as he thought about it more and nodded.

"Yes please."