Chapter XV

CHAPTER XV

Collapsing onto the bench, it took a while before Eva's breathing returned to normal, interspersed with laughter.

"Look mummy. I'm soooooo tall." Dylan sat on Nate's shoulders and was pulling at his hair in a way that must be painful. You couldn't have known from his expression, it matched the grinning one above him.

"Not anymore tiger," she called as Dylan was swung upside down. His giggles were infectious and she leapt to her feet to target the exposed belly with a strawberry kiss. Standing back up, she became distinctly aware of Nate's bare muscled arms that were covered with a light sheen of sweat. She shoved her hands into her jeans pockets, afraid at what her hands wanted to do. He was just a friend - the most amazing one she'd ever had - but only that. Nothing more. Nothing more, she told herself. He couldn't be interested in her. Any man would have made some move by name. He just wanted to be friends. The thought saddened her more than she was willing to admit.

Nate released the squirming child down gently to the ground - right side up - only for him to run away again. This time at least it was just to the climbing frame and not into the woods. It was Eva who turned away first and Nate followed her as she re-took her seat.

They lapsed into silence as they watched Dylan scamper up and down the climbing frame repeatedly. Hide and seek hadn't tired the little buddy out a bit and he was still very much on the go. As they continued to watch, Nate pondered how he was going to let his mate know exactly who he was and that Dylan was his. Shifter speed increased dramatically with the onset of puberty but even now Nate could tell that Dylan had inherited his traits. He was quicker and more agile than most of the other kids in the playground, even those twice his age.

"Are you in touch with his father?" She stiffened in his periphery and he hurriedly continued, "you don't have to tell me, sorry. It's not my-"

"Business?" She arched her eyebrow and he hated himself for bringing it up. The single word was said with so much coldness that he struggled for words. Damn, he hadn't brought it up since that first coffee date and she had been defensive then too.

"I'm sorry. I suppose it's not." He replied slowly, hating the lie.

Tension spread between them and he hated it, only moments ago he had smelt her desire. She'd kept on saying they were only friends but her body betrayed her and with time he hoped she would come around. He wanted to hug her or at least hold her hand but knew it was too soon. Nonetheless, he rested his hand on the bench, open in silent invitation. Instead, she tucked her feet up onto the bench and hugged her knees.

"I just don't want you to thankly badly of me," she said quietly as she stared straight ahead.

He struggled to not pull her straight into his arms to comfort her. He wanted to make her certain that that would never happen but thought it best to rather keep silent.

"I..." she sniffed and wiped away a tear that escaped. "Wow this is difficult. I won't go into the details but it was a one night stand. I'm not that kind of person," she hurriedly added, eyes flickering in Nate's direction briefly to see his reaction. He hoped he had an open and understanding expression on his face, when in reality it was hard to hear their meeting described as such. It was far more than a one night stand for him - she was his mate. "and it's the only...well...um yeah." Eva blushed and rested her chin on her knees. "I screwed up and have no way to contact him."

He desperately wanted to ask about his number he left but he had dug himself in too deep already with not telling the truth at the start. Not to mention her slip up - had she not had sex since? The thought whirled around his head and his jeans tightened until a word ripped through his reverie.