CHAPTER XXII

CHAPTER XXII

She was restless when she climbed back into bed and sleep was far out of reach. Her heart still pounded away and for a second she found her fingers drifting but she caught herself. He was right there! What would have happened if he hadn't pulled back – for God's sake they were right next to Dylan! SHIT. She was grateful for him stopping it - a fact which made her hate herself even more that she lacked any resemblance of control.

She snatched her eyes open as she forced away the vivid daydream of that first night. Every time she closed her eyes – damn it. She wasn't getting anymore sleep tonight that was for sure. Swinging her legs over the side of the bed in resignation, she shuffled downstairs. The distance didn't help though. Drumming her fingers along the worktop, she gazed outside into the garden. Visions of him - shifting before her - halted her fingers. Did he really do that? She needed answers but now was not the time. She thought she would be disgusted or scared but it oddly made her hate herself more. No! He could have made more of an effort to tell her. When? She castrated herself, when she was slamming the door in his face!

"Oh God," she whispered to herself, head falling into her hands. He'd stayed. He'd come back for her! What did mates even mean? God, the way he had gazed at her, it obviously meant a great deal to him. She just couldn't understand it – him. What about Dylan, would he be one too? The thought worried her. She didn't know what to do. She didn't know anything about it. She resolved to listen next time when they were alone. When Dylan wasn't around. When he was fully clothed. It made her flush to think about it, he was nearly naked just above her head. Yes she would have to be able to concentrate.

Falling into the comfy armchair, she tugged her knees upwards and tried – really hard – to not think of the way he felt inside her. Staring into the trees at the end of her patch, her concern took over thankfully and she worried her lip until she tasted blood. What did they want? Would they come back? Did they mean her or worse Dylan harm? Why did he say we needed protection? Was he even safe? They outnumbered him that was for sure. She really needed to get some answers.

With the sky lightening around her, she surveyed the living room. It was a tip. He must think she was such a slob. The idea that he would think less of her hurt more than she'd care to admit and she hurried to parcel things away into their correct places. She'd even got out the duster and cleaning supplies and moved onto the kitchen when the sun finally fully illuminated the room. Glancing at her reflection as she turned for the stairs she was aghast at the ragged appearance that greeted her. Her hair was limp and the edges clung to her blotchy face with sweat. Racing up the stairs she was about to make a dash for the showers, when Dylan's door opened. Dylan froze as if he'd been caught doing something naughty. Not braving to look upwards at the hard chest that followed Dylan, she raised an eyebrow and waited for him to spill the beans. The technique always worked and soon Dylan was spilling away. She noticed how he stepped in front of Carter – no Nathan or Nate? – even more as if he was protecting him.

"Don't be mad mama, I wanted dada inside...I was scared."

His pleading eyes were massive and she sighed in defeat. "I'm not mad, tiger." She froze as soon as she said, eyes darting upwards. The nickname had more meaning now than it did and she flushed under his scorching gaze. Dylan didn't seem to notice though and beamed up at her.

"Can Dada come swimming with us?" Dylan asked, holding his hands together tightly. "Pleaseeeee."

"I'm sure that he has other pla-"

Dylan interrupted and turned his face towards Nathan instead. "Pleassssseee."

It was heartwarming to see him struggle for words and when his eyes rose to meet hers - silently pleading - she wavered before nodding in permission. She wrapped her arms around herself at the answering grin and shifted her feet as he crouched down in front of Dylan.