Promises

Rock of Ages - Def Leppard

▸Rock of Ages - Def Leppard

P A P A P T . I I  I

Steve pulled the RV into the War Zone. We eyed the full parking lot warily. Steve ended up parking the RV in the area where the workers enter and drop off the new shipments. Eddie, Lucas, and Dustin stayed in the RV for safe measures. I had to, sadly, leave my machete in the RV in case they thought I stole it. The rest of us entered the store through the main entrance. I had Eddie's Walkman clipped to the waist of my jeans and the headphones around my neck.

We stopped and looked around the stores. I was mentally noting where some of the things we needed. A grin grew on my lips when I saw the large knives sign. Steve furrowed his brows when he saw my grin and followed my gaze. He breathed out a chuckle and shook his head.

"So much for avoiding angry hicks." Robin stated.

"Let's be...fast." Nancy said, looking at Robin.

"Yep." Robin agreed.

"Definitely." Erica was the first to walk away.

We split up going to what we each needed to get. I spotted the clothing section, grabbing Steve's hand and leading him that way. Luckily, the clothing was at the back of the store in the corner:

"Where are we? Oh." Steve nodded and picked up his pace. "Okay, cover me while I put stuff on, 'kay?"

"Just make it quick." I pushed in toward the clothes. "I want to check the knives out."

Steve rolled his eyes, shrugging off the Jean vest. He walked toward the shirts first, quickly looking for his size. Checking his surroundings to make sure no one was looking, he took it off the hanger and slipped it on. He tucked the Jean vest into his pants and used the shirt to help conceal it. I went to the jackets and looked for his size. Finding his size, I took it off the hanger and handed it to Steve.

"Thanks." Steve pecked my lips before we walked toward Robin.

We turned the corner as Steve shrugged on his jacket. Robin was dumping lighter fluid into a cart she had found.

"How many of these do you think we need?" Robin asked, holding a can of lighter fluid.

"Five or six." Steve replied, grabbing a can and placing it into the cart.

"Oh! Knives!" I eagerly tapped Steve's shoulder.

Robin laughed at me.

"Go get your knives." Steve waved me away. I beamed and started to head to the knives. "Find some good ones. We don't need another machete."

"Okay!" I walked over to the knives with a smile. My eyes lit up when I saw the different types. "Oh, I think I'm in Heaven."

I checked each knife, looking for a type that would be good to throw in case it was needed. It had to be good for any close combat if Vecna decided to invade my mind again. I tilted my head when I noted the knives on the left side of the display. They seemed more practical. I grabbed one, noting the lightness and the good balance it held. Twirling it in my hands felt natural.