Silver Cat

Things Can Only Get Better - Howard Jones

T H E  C A S E  O F  T H E  M I S S I N G   L I F E G U A R D

M I S S I N G   L I F E G U A R D

Earlier the next day, I went over to the Hargrove household in the car. I had convinced Danny to allow me to drive it while he and Dustin and walked over to the front door. Of course, Dustin didn't let me hear the end of him coming home only for him to ride his bike around town. Exiting the car, I walked to the front door and opened it. They had oddly kept it unlocked. I went to straight to Billy's room and knocked on the door twice. There was an incoherent grumble from the inside of his room.

"You decent?" I tapped on his door again.

"Yeah." Billy grumbled out.

I pushed opened his door to see Billy siting up on his bed. His room was messy, as usual, and the curtains were drawn shut. The cool air sent goosebumps down my arms.

"Wow, it's cold in here today." I muttered to myself.

"What's up, babe?" Billy yawned.

"You ignored me for a couple days now, you ass." I walked over to him and sat on the edge of his bed. "What gives?"

"Sorry babe, been busy and then yesterday I felt sick." Billy uttered, his eyes starting to close again as he went to lay back down.

A frown etched its way onto my lips. Billy rarely apologizes to me unless he was being a huge asshole. It was progress compared to how he was when we first became friends.

"You still feel sick?" I placed the back of my hand against his cool forehead.

"What are you doing?" Billy quickly grasped my wrist tightly and glared at me.

"Checking to see if you have a fever, idiot." I rolled my eyes and yanked my wrist away. "Which you don't. Maybe it was some bug or something."

"Babe, my immune system has never failed me before and it won't start now." Billy smacked my hand away.

"Okay, okay." I held my hands up. "You sure you're okay?"

"Mm-hmmm, can I go back to sleep now?" Billy shoved me off the bed.

"Rude!" I stumbled to my feet.

"Tired!" Billy closed his eyes.

"You need to start getting ready for work anyways, asshole, get up." I lightly kicked his leg.