The Search For Danny

Space Oddity- David Bowie

T H E    B A T T L E  O F  S T A R C O U R T  M A L L  P T

S T A R C O U R T  M A L L 
P T . I V

Steve parked the car roughly in the Moore's driveway. There were no cars in sight. No lights were peeking through the windows. It just looked dead. Dustin and I exchanged fearful looks. The five of us quickly clambered out. I ran towards the front door.

"Rebecca!? Danny!?" I banged my fist against the door. "Guys!"

No one answered. Dread started to fill my chest. I started to heave, desperately wrapping my hand around the door knob. I turned it. The door opened.

"Get the lights." Robin instructed.

"Got it." Steve flicked the lights on.

I gasped at the scene in front of me. The usually tidy house was in ruins. Furniture was knocked down and broken. The pictures in the wall were in the floor shattered. There was even a huge dent in the wall.

"Let's look around." I wet my lips anxiously.

"Spread out. I'll check up stairs." Steve  nodded for the younger teens to follow me.

"I'll come with you." Robin followed her coworker.

Glass crunched under my shoe as I carefully walked around the house. It was eerily quiet. The only sounds I could hear was our labored breathing and our footsteps. I headed toward the kitchen as a chemical smell wafted towards my nose. That was the only room that had the light already turned on. When I entered the kitchen, the smell started to burn my nose.

"Shit, that stuff is strong." Dustin coughed out, swatting at the air.

"It's chemicals, stupid." Erica rolled her eyes.

I quickly pulled the top of my shirt over my nose to soften the harsh smell. Cleaning supplies and pesticides were scattered all over. The contents were all over the place. I frowned when I saw the back door open.

"Be careful guys." I warned them. "Check around here. I'm gonna check the backyard."

There was voices coming from the backyard. I panicked and grabbed the closest thing to me: a kitchen knife. Dustin and Erica looked at me with wide eyes.

"Stay behind me and in this kitchen." I ordered them.

"No need to tell me twice." Erica breathed out.

"Be careful, Dawn."

I cautiously walked through the opened door. Two silhouettes stood a couple of feet in front of me with their backs towards me. I could easily identify them as a boy and a girl. They turned around and screamed.

"What the fuck, Dawn!"

"Why the hell are you guys here?" I slightly lowered the knife.