Ride or Die

Whip It - Devo

T H E  B A T H T U B  P T

T H E  B A T H T U B  P T . 1

As soon as Danny dropped me off at home, I entered the house and slammed the front door shut. I stormed into the kitchen and as I was about to open the freezer, I saw a note placed under a Mickey Mouse magnet saying "Had to run to the store to get groceries. If one of you get home before I do, please do the laundry. Love, Mom". I let out a loud groan, stomping out of the kitchen into the utility room.

"Freaking Steve. Freaking chores." I angrily muttered, picking up the blue clothes basket and dumping it into the washing machine. I put in the required measurement of the detergent and turned the machine on after closing the lid. "All I want to do is eat junk food and cry."

I made my way back into the kitchen and opened the freezer. My heart shattered when I couldn't find the gallon of ice cream. Muttering curses under my breath, I jogged to my room and noticed that my stash wasn't on top of my nightstand. Instead, there was another note from Mom. Slowly walking towards the note, I picked it up and read that she hid the snacks once she saw all of the trash from the ones we've eaten that night.

"Why, Mom? Why?" I cried out. Shaking my head, I grabbed my purse that was hanging on my chair and headed to the garage. Opening the garage door, I pulled my bike out of the garage before closing the door. I set my bike against the house and ran to lock the front door. After I double checked that I had enough money to buy some food, I jumped on my bike and started to ride. As I rode my bike down Cornwallis Street since it was the fastest route to the gas station, I saw two familiar looking middle school boys and a girl with a shaved head zipping towards me on their bikes.

"Dawn?!" Dustin yelled as I stopped my bike. "What the hell are you stopping for? Turn your damn bike around and pedal your ass off!"

"What the hell is..." I trailed off when I saw a line of white vans speeding down the road towards us. My eyes widened as I noticed the three preteen's fear stricken faces. "Holy shit!"

"Go! Go!" Mike screamed, waving me on. I quickly turned my bike around and followed after them.

"What is going on here?" I demanded, glancing over my shoulder to check on the vans. Yup, they're still following us.

"Bad men." The girl, who I was assuming is El, told me.

"Yeah, the bad men are after us and El." Dustin nodded in agreement. "Oh yeah, Eleven meet my sister, Dawn. Dawn, meet Eleven."

"Nice to meet you El, wish we could have met under different circumstances." I sent her a sweet smile.

"Shit!" Dustin cursed, noticing the white vans further ahead, turning down the street we were currently on.

"This way, come on!" Mike turned his bike towards a drive way. Looking back, I saw the vans gaining on us.

"Pedal faster guys!" I yelled. We rode to the backyard of the house, two little girls playing a game of patty cake while the other was coloring on the picnic table. I instantly started to ring the bell on my bike.