Chapter ten

*Kelebogile's story*

*Chapter 10*

I woke up at 7 and went to the bathroom.i find new things there and took a shower.After I was done I went down for breakfast.everyone gathered around the table.we ate breakfast and after we were done I decided to go to the orphanage with my mother.we drove there and when we arrived the kids had already left for school.we greeted and they showed us to the office.the manager was busy with some papersthen we took our seats.
Manager:good day.welcome to our orphanage.
Mom:thank you.
Manager: Kele its good to see you.
Me:good to see you too ma.
Manager:your brother has already left for school.how can I help you?
Mom:as you can see,kelebogile has found her family.So we are here to request to take her brother home.
Manager:okay,that’s great then.we first have to sign some documents.let me just get them ready for you then after school you can come back and fetch him.
She got busy with some papers then after she came with the papers and my mom signed.
Mom:if I may ask,when was he going to be released out of here if he didn’t find a family to adopt him?
Manager:when he turns 18.
Mom:now I’ve seen that there’s some corruption here.you say when he turns 18 but kelebogile was kicked out after turning 17.
Manager:mam what…
Mom:the way I see it there might have been someone who you were working for.Did you work for Portia?
Manager:I don’t know what you are talking about.
Me:mom she is not that kind of person.
Mom:im not going to involve the police because you once helped my child.so tell me the truth now.
Manager:im sorry.she threatened to burn this place down if we didn’t release her.she even donated money to this orphanage,she helped us a lot.
Mom:so you sacrificed my child?
Manager:I am sorry.
Mom:my family also donates a lot of money here!what do you do with it?
Manager:…
Mom:I think you keep some for yourself!what kind of a woman would allow another to be used?
She just looked down and didn’t say anything.its true when they say don’t trust anyone.she was a good woman when I was staying here.she was so kind.she hid it so well.
Mom:im going to report this to the police.you are evil.what if it was your child who went through prostitution? Would you have loved it?
Manager:I am really sorry for everything.
Mom:you are not yet sorry.Tell the boy to pack his things.we will be back at three.
After we went to have lunch.we got to the restaurant and ordered our meal.
Mom:talk to me my angel.Are you fine?like emotionally?
Me:I don’t think I will ever be fine.i may act like I am but I am not.wherever I go im always labelled as that girl who sells her body.Guys at campus always asks me how much I charge.And some of them are just doing it to embarrass me.I have to look over my shoulder.Worse even other kids are embarrassed to be seen with me.People judge me without knowing my story.
Mom:have you talked to a therapist?
Me:how will it help?it wont erase the fact that I was a prostitute.
Mom:oh my child.But at least try.i will organise it for you.it wll help you.
Me:I will try.
Mom:im sorry that you went through this.this too shall pass.
While we were talking I saw Mandla enter the restaurant with a woman and the girls.my eyes were glued to him until he noticed me.a tear fell.
Mom:everything shall be well.im going to do everything in my power to make sure that you recover from this
After eating we paid and left.we were about to exit when my mother stopped.
Mom:Mandla how are you?
Mandla:im good ma.i didnt see you there.
Mxm!
Mom:its good to see you.i didn’t know you are now married.
Mandla:mama you would be the first one to get an invite if I got married.You know I will never forget that you are my mom right?Actually,you will be the one planning my wedding.
mxm
Mom:okay,good then.Dont be a stranger.Do visit us.
Mandla:I will.
We left and she drove off to home.
Mom:wow.i haven’t seen Mandla in a long time.
Me:is he related to the Khumalo’s?

I didn't want her to notice that i know him. So i had to make a conversation.

Mom:no.He’s your brothers’ bestfriend. The five of them with Kuhle attended varsity together.
Me:oh.is that his wife?
Mom:no,I think that’s the baby mama.He has two kids.i last heard when the last born was born.
Me:okay.
The whole way I’ve been thinking about what I’ve just heard.How come he didn’t tell me?Maybe that’s because its still early stages in our relationship.BUT THEY LOOKED SO COSY.i have to stop stressing about this.Maybe its not what im thinking.
Me:mom tell Sphe to wake me up when she gets here.
Mom:okay.
I go to Muzi’s room and lay on his bed.i try to sleep but it is not happening.That image of Mandla and that woman keeps coming into my mind.i just cant take it off.its weighing heavy on me.
I woke up to my phone ringing and I reached for it.3 missed calls!i checked and they were all from Mandla.it rang again.
Me:hello.
Mandla:babe thank god.i thought you were ignoring me.
Me:why would I ignore you.
Mandla:what you saw,its not what you think.
Me:how do you know what im thinking?
Mandla:can we meet and talk about this?
Me:I cant,I promised Sphe that I would hang out with her after school.
Mandla:and you?why aren’t you at school?
Me:I had no class.
Mandla:my love that’s no excuse.You always go to the library when you have no classes.Please don’t lose focus on your studies.
Me:I wont.
Mandla:so when will we meet?
Me:we can meet tomorrow.Today I wont be free,I also have to go and fetch my brother from the orphanage.
Mandla:okay,I love you.
Me:I love you too.
Mandla:call before you sleep.
Me:okay.