Chapter twenty four

*Kelebogile's story*

*Chapter 24*

THREE MONTHS LATER.

“push”
“what must I push?oh god this is painful!”
“I can see the head.you are doing great.a few more then it will be over”
After a few minutes a cry can be heard in the ward.
“it’s a boy.”
That’s the doctor saying with an impressive smile on his face.its not everyday that a woman gives birth to a child that she didn’t know she was pregnant with.its very rare.they take the baby and bath him then wait for his clothes as they wrap him in hospital towels.
bongi:baby how come you didn’t feel that you were pregnant?
Dr:these things happen. You can be pregnant and only find out on the day when the baby comes.
bongi:you’ve made me a grandmother again.im getting old.
Amahle:mama im tired please.take him,I want to sleep.
bongi:don’t you want to bond with him?
Amahle:when I wake up.can I get some painkillers?
Dr:I will bring something to you.
Bongi  sat with the baby until they came with his clothes.her husband also arrived and went to the ward.
zweli:is that our grandson?
bongi:yes,u muhle ne?
zweli:yebo.umuntu se uya guga manje.
bongi:im going to spoil him.
zweli:you always spoil our grandchildren.but what im waiting for is his father to come and pay his dues.
bongi:I knew it.
They laughed.
After hours Amahle woke up and looked for the baby and panicked when she couldn’t see him.she pressed the button an the nurse came to her running
Amahle:nurse,how long have I been sleeping?where is my baby?
Nurse:you have been sleeping for a few hours.his father took him for a bath.
Amahle:what father?i don’t remember telling his father about him.
Nurse:he’s here.your family allowed him in here.
“oh babe you are up.i was giving the little man a bath.he’s going to sleep soon.”
Amahle:who told you to take my baby!?bring him here!
Themba :nurse thank you.you can leave us.
He gave the baby to her.
Amahle:ah my boy. I was so scared.
Themba :sorry for scaring you.
Amahle:why did you take him?what do you know about babies?he could have drowned!
Themba :I’ve been doing this for a while,I have two other babies.i would never harm my child.
Amahle:who said he’s your child?
Themba :quit joking.dont you see he looks like his daddy?
Amahle:leave us alone.i can take care of him on my own.
Themba :if this is not a sign that we are meant to be then I don’t know.
Amahle:you like using your energy for useless things.me and you are not meant to be.
Themba :what can I do to make you see that I love you?
Amahle:leave your wife,how about that?
Themba :I cant choose between the two of you.
Amahle:hayke leyo i nkinga yakho ke.
Themba :I will give you time to think about it. Take your time and think about it. At the end of this year I would love it if we were married.
Amahle:you can leave now.i would like some time alone with my son.
He kissed her and pecked his little boy’s lips.
Amahle:don’t come back here.or else I will tell dad everything.
Hlulani:you cant stop a man on a mission my love.you can tell your dad.entlek I’d like to talk to him.good night.
………
zweli:bakwa khosa are coming here to pay for damages .
Amahle:dad it really is not necessary.
zwelii:they also asked for your hand in marriage,why didn’t you say anything?
Amahle:that’s because I don’t want to get married to him.
zweli:why?dont you love him?
Amahle:I love him but im not going to be his second wife.
zweli:yini?he’s married?how could you sleep with a married man?
Amahle:he didn’t tell me all these years.i only found out 3 months ago when he invited me to his home only to find out its his wedding.now he says he wants me to be his second wife.
zweli:uya hlanya.we will raise our grandson.no daughter of mine will ever be a second wife.
Amahle:they can pay for the child  and he can see him anytime he wants.
Bongi:they are here?
Amahle:already?i didn’t think they were coming today.
zweli:today they are only here to pay for their child.
Amahle:okay,I’ll be in my room.
She moved back home so that her mother can help her with her child. The child was named Mavona  Nkosinathi Khosa. The khosa elders were welcomed and they were led to where the Khumalo brothers were in the lounge.
Mazwi: ni amkelekile la kwa Khumalo.
k.uncle1:thank you.
zweli:so what brings you here?
Uncle2:we have come to pay damages for our grandson.
Ntsika:and when she was still pregnant why didn’t you come?
Uncle2:we all know that she didn’t know she was pregnant,so how were we to know also?
Mazwi:okay,just so you know,our child is not cheap.she carried a baby for you and it must show.
zweli:and I also want compensation for her viginity.she was intact when he found her.
Uncle1:yes,he told us about that.
Ntsika:for the child we want R100 000 AND THE MOTHER IS R150 000.
Uncle3:that’s too much.iif that is just for the damages,how much are you going to charge us for her lobolo?
Mazwi:our daughters lobolo start from hallf a million.you should ask out there from those who married here.
Zweli:and i won't give my daughter to you so you can play with her.No lobolo will be paid.
Ntsika:does our daughter look like second best to you?
Uncle1:okay.lets be civil and talk about this.poligamy is in our culture.it has been happening for long and it is not as bad as people make it look.
zweli:lets talk about what we are here for.so are you paying today or what?
Uncle2:even though you have charged us a lot,we will pay.boti Mzamani minga va tsalela cheque kwalani.
Mazwi:we also want two live cows.one for our daughter’s mother and the other for your son’s disrespect towards our child.
Uncle:no sungula kuswi twa leswi.how has he disrespected her?
zweli:he dated her knowing that he’s married.he invited her to his wedding.thats heartache and utter disrespect!
Uncle3:that we will have to discuss with our son and hear what he says.
Uncle:thank you for welcoming us.
………….
Amahle.
My phone kept ringing and I didn’t answer. Nkosinathi hates being put down.he’s been crying ever since I put him down.
Me:hello,can you call later?
Themba : why is he crying like that?
Me:he doesn’t want me to put him down.
Themba :come out.i would like to see you.
Me: Themba  please.did you see my fathers are here?what do you want them to say?
Themba :I can come in and talk to your dad?
Me:no!do you want him to kill you?
Themba :I see you still care.so tell me here,did you tell your father that im rich?
Me:no why?
Themba :the money they charged me!its like they want to leave me broke.R250 000!
Me:im sure its nothing to you.you own farms and you are an accountant so…
Themba :what are we going to eat?will you marry me even when im broke and have nothing?
Me:stop talking nonsense.im not going to marry you.
Themba :I will remind you this when we are old and grey. Wena uwa mina.
Me:mxm,bye.your son is draining me here.
Themba :he’s a true khosa that one. Kiss him for me please.
Me:bye.
Themba :I love you mrs khosa to be.
I cut the call and focussed on my baby boy. But to be honest my baby looks so cute though. He looks exactly like his father,more so his grandfather. Nothing looks like me here.
Me:nkosi ka mam,why did you have to look like that bustard though?
Voice:hey don’t swear around the child.when he’s old he’ll be swearing non stop.
Me:sorry gogo
bongi:I could hear him crying from downstairs.
Me:he doesn’t want me to put him down.
Gogo:mfana ka gogo.
bongi:why did he have to look like this though?he could have just looked a bit like his granny.
Me:but he’s cute mama.actually handsome?
bongi: he amahle!you are smiling and calling him handsome,he’s just a baby and babies are cute. Tell me,are you still in love with that boy?
Gogo:leave the child alone. Its normal to love him.she wont just get over him instantly.
Me:yebo gogo,mtshele.
bongi:nana I hope you wont change your mind and marry him?
Me………
bongi: whatever it is that you are thinking it better stop now.i wont have my daughter being second wife.
Gogo:polygamy is not that bad.im from a polygamous family and we all lived peacefully.
bongi:ma please don’t put ideas in her head.
Gogo:im not.i just want to show her that if ever she decides to do it what she must expect.if your husband loves you then that’s all that matters.you see,my father had 5 wives and you wouldn’t see them fighting.they lived like sisters. Our home was full of love.they got along. The husband just has to sit his wives down and explain to them that he’s not going to love the other one less.they are all equal.he must explain his intentions with them and make them understand that him having more wives is not going to affect the other. But in some marriages there are also bad sides. Wives end up killing one another.witchcraft get involved.hate is also there and it will lead to conflict with the husband.so when getting into this type of marriage you have to look at both sides.
Bongi:baby don’t rush into things,take your time.
………….
Kelebogile
Me:baby I think I should move back home.
Mandla:hay no. you can go and visit your mother anytime. But you cant move back home.
Me:it was just a thought love.im just happy my mother didn’t die.im gonna spend all my life showing her and dad how much I love them.god gave me a second chance to have parents.
Mandla:I thought you didn’t believe god.i thought you were atheist.
Me:now I believe him.dont laugh im trying to change here.
Mandla:that’s good sweetheart.
Me:yes,while at it please go and fetch my food in the friegde
Mandla:how are you feeling today?
Me:tired. Imagine how I will when I give birth.
Mandla:2 months left and they will be here.
Me:what if I die?
Mandla:I told you to stop talking like that.you are going to be just fine