Twenty-Three

Y'all I just finished a book with a sad ending and oml. I love and hate sad endings in books because emotion but then again emotion. How bout yall?

"Y/N, come on, we're first shift," Laurens murmured, lightly shaking the bunk. I groaned in annoyance, sitting up slowly so I wouldn't hit the roof.

"Is the sun up yet?" I yawned out, stretching and shaking slightly. "Almost," he said, pulling his sleep tunic over his head.

I sighed and laid back down. "Do you think we'll see battle in our three months?" I asked quietly. I heard him stop moving, thinking. "I doubt it, but possibly. Three months isn't a long time, Y/N."

I knew he was trying to reassure me with the last sentence, I wanted to be reassured.

"I saw battle more than once when I was on boats for less than a week," I observed distantly and he shrugged, pulling his tunic on and a jacket over.

"You were born to fight, thank God in Heaven you were also born to win." I laughed quietly and he cracked a smile before leaving the barracks. I slid off my bunk and grabbed my bag, grabbing brown trousers, my corset, and a white tunic, grabbing the little necessities as well before heading to get dressed in the kitchen.

I stepped outside, the cool, damp air greeting me. I took a deep breath of the sea salt air, my nerves soothing.

I headed into the kitchen, locking the door behind me. I changed as quickly as I could, leaving my sleep clothes in an empty cabinet before grabbing two apples and heading back out.

"Laurens!" I shouted, the blond untying ropes. He looked at me, barely catching the apple in time. "Thanks!" He shouted back. I bit into mine, leaving it in my mouth so I could climb up the main mast.

When I reached the yardarm, the pole going across the main mast, I sat down, legs swinging.

I hadn't sat up here before. I was either sent to the crow's nest or on the deck.

"Y/N!" I looked down and saw Arthur down there, waving up at me. "Arthur! Hi!" He smiled and pointed to the crow's nest. "Your watch?" I looked up, debating. "Yeah!" I shouted before finishing my climb.

Just as I reached the top, my apple fell. "No!" I yelled, reaching. Just my luck.

I crawled into the bucket, leaning against the side. The horizon was nothing but water and sky. That's all that was planned for the next three months, with some land in between. Maybe a little battle.

"See anything, Y/N? We have a telescope up there!" I looked down and found Washington craning his neck up at me, hands braced on his hips.

A telescope?! None of my other ships had one!

I looked around the small space, finding a small, shiny, compact item against the wall. I quickly grabbed it and pulled it to the full length—roughly my arm.

I squealed in excitement and looked through.

The water sprawled ahead was insignificant to the entire sea I could see. I could see little birds flying around, too!

I did a 360 degree spin, looking everywhere I could. I found a small shadow in the east, the rising sun's beams hiding it. "Shadow in the east! I can't tell if it's a ship or land, the sun is too bright and we are too far away!"

I lowered the scope and looked down at Washington, finding him now holding a map and carefully examining it.

"I don't think there's any close land in the east. A ships fleet, possibly. Not one of ours, so travelers or British!"

Another ship! "Which way do we sail, General?" The man at the ship's helm asked and I saw Washington tap his foot in thought. "Head northeast, with the current. Keep a safe distance. If it's a Loyalist fleet, we head due north. If it's travelers, we go to them. Clear?"

"Clear!" The man shouted, turning the wheel slowly. Men bellow me grabbed ropes and pulled the mast a new direction. The crow's nest wobbled and I yelped, bracing myself against the walls.

I heard snickering coming from below and I looked down. Men were laughing at me for my yell, making faces. Luckily, Washington saw them too.

"Wills, go swap places with Y/N!" He ordered and I smiled slightly. Wills was about to argue when he changed his mind. "Yes, General."

I crawled out of the crow's nest and climbed down slowly, making sure to take my sweet time. "It's cold up there, Wills. Fair warning since you don't have thick skin."

He glared daggers at me, but I brushed it off and went below to find a job.