Nine

"Miss us?"

Laurens blinked and fixated on Alexander. "Why are you here?!" He whispered, walking outside and shutting the door.

"Where's your wife?! And you!" He turned to me. "Your fiancé, your family!" I crossed my arms. "He is not my fiancé anymore. Thought that was clear when I kinda held him at sword point?"

Laurens just glared at me before looking at a panicked Alexander, his blue eyes softening. "Alex, what are you doing here? How did you even find me and Martha?"

I saw the flash of pain in Alexander's eyes at her name. He looked to me and I merely stepped almost out of ear shot, my back to them.

"John, what the hell?!" I heard Alexander snap quietly. "What do you mean?! I made a life for myself, got a wife just like you did!" John fired back. "Yeah, but I didn't run away to South Carolina! I stayed in Albany, I didn't leave you hanging out to dry like you did me!"

I winced at that dig. "Alex, what we had? It can't continue. It can't be shown in public. We can't get married. We cannot be happy together!" Alexander huffed. "Because you're so happy with her."

I almost gasped. Was Lauren's happy with Martha?

"I'm happy enough with looking happy." Laurens replied quietly. Alexander scoffed. "Fine. Congratulations." I heard him walking to me and I turned around. "We're leaving." He snapped.

I looked to Laurens worriedly. He was so kind to me, the only one I could trust to not coddle me. How can I just leave?

"Y/N!" I whirled around to Alexander. "Don't call me like a dog!" I said sharply. "I have words for him too y'know!"

Alexander sighed and crossed his arms, waiting. I nodded and stormed over to Laurens menacingly. Laurens looked scared. Good.

When I reached him, I aimed a finger at him. "Listen here you blonde haired traitor." I snapped under my breath. He swallowed nervously.

"We came from Albany for two reasons. Eliza knows about us," His eyes widened. "And we came here because we trusted you! We need somewhere to stay until we can get on our feet and before we can even say shit, you shout at us and tell us to leave!"

"Y/N I'm sor-" I shook my head. "I'm not done!"

"Now I'm not sure what was between Alexander and you, but I do know for sure that he is hurt. That man trusted you more than his own goddamned wife, than me! And you run away and elope like a coward!"

I smoothed my dark skirts and stepped back. "Now we're leaving."

I turned on my heel and started walking away. "Wait."

I raised an eye brow and turned my head. "Yes?" He sighed and opened the door. "Come in. Behave though!"

I smiled triumphantly and looked to Alexander, who was walking over was a faint smile. I waited until he was by my side before walking in. "Now was that so hard?"

Laurens rolled his eyes, walking in after us and shutting the door. "Martha! We have company I'd like you to meet!"

A skinny, brunette woman walked into the living area and smiled. "Hello! I'm Martha, Martha Laurens." She extended her hand to me. "Y/F/N S- Eldara." I said at the last moment, taking her hand. We shook and she curtsied to Alexander. "Alexander Hamilton. Your husband is an old friend." He bowed respectively.

"Oh really? John, you never told me you knew Captain Hamilton like a close friend."

Laurens laughed awkwardly. "Sit, sit! Breakfast is almost finished!" I smiled and sat on the small couch, Alexander sitting behind me.

"So what are you two doing in Charleston? How's Mrs.Hamilton?" I winced and cleared my throat, elbowing Alexander.

"Oh, she's doing well! Yeah, Y/N and I are here because of military things. I'm positioned here for a bit and Y/N is here to help me. She has a sharp mind the Patriot army likes to use."

I gave him a small smile. "You're too sweet, Captain." I said. Martha walked in and handed us each a bowl of porridge and sugar.

"How wonderful! How about you come for dinner? John and and I have some news that would be best shared over a nice dinner." Laurens coughed and his eyes widened. I angled my head.

"We'd love to!" Alexander said, though I could sense the daunting curiosity in his voice.

News? What happened?

Laurens and her were moving back to Albany? Laurens was leaving the military? He was being promoted?

A single thought entered my mind that I knew would crush Alexander.

Was Martha pregnant?

I looked up and found everyone staring at me. "Yeah, I'd love to."