Two

Y/N Pov

Alexander and I set sail for Charleston two days ago. We've had a few detours due to weather, but we should arrive tomorrow. In the meantime, all I could to was wallow in self pity.

Alexander could only see me morning, noon, and night. He was always helping with the boat; meanwhile I had to stay in the barracks. Hiding from greedy sailors was worse than one would think.

I heard someone heading for the door and I pressed against the wall, the darkness of the far corner hiding me.

The door slowly creaked open, revealing a tall silhouette. Not Alexander.

I heard the oil lamp flicker to life and I held my breath. The man spoke, his voice husky and deep. "I know you're hiding in here, pretty las." His accent was foreign.

I felt my heart drop but didn't move. Did Alexander tell someone? Did I make a mistake?

The man stalked closer to the back wall, his steps heavy. I started to make out features; chocolate hair to his shoulders, wide stance, slightly large nose, and light colored eyes. If he wasn't so scary, he'd seem somewhat attractive.

His steps sped up and I slowly started to crouch down, my skirts puffing over my legs. I pressed a hand over my mouth to silence my breaths.

I heard a deep chuckled before two boots entered my vision. I slowly looked up and found a tall man staring down at me. Well, not me. My breasts. I gasped and removed my hand from my face and covered the top of my bodice. "Rude!"

He grunted and grabbed my arm, yanking me to a stand. He inhaled and I gagged. "You smell like my next meal." He purred. His voice was too rough to even seem nice.

I shoved him away, but his grip only became worse. I winced and stopped fighting him.

My heart was racing and I felt my breathing become uneven. This was not happening. Not again, not where I can't escape.

I felt the familiar sting of his grip, the pain exactly like it was before. I tried to scream for help, but no sound came out.

I was suddenly back in the small shack, the sailor now one of the crude redcoats that was ready to ruin me. I felt my legs go weak and I collapsed, his hand on my arm the only thing keeping me up.

"You think you can play dead, girl?" He snapped, tossing me into one of the barrack beds. I felt my head hit some wood and my senses came back.

Without warning, I screamed at the top of my lungs, one name in my mind.

"ALEXANDER!!"

The man slapped me before covering my mouth with his hands. I thrashed and scratched as I gave more muffled screams.

Then, out of nowhere, a god given voice sounded, "Let. Her. Go."

The man and I both stopped moving to look to the door. A figure stood there, their auburn hair visible in the light. Alexander!

The man above me chuckled darkly and removed his hand from my mouth, moving it to my abdomen to keep me down. "Or what?" He retorted. I was too scared to do anything. With just enough pressure, he could bruise my stomach and knock the air from me.

"Or you'll lose that hand." Alexander threatened. I looked between them, anxious for the man's next move. I could see a small crowd forming behind Alexander; the other sailors.

I took the chance and kicked my legs, hitting the man in the knee. He cried out, using both hands to grip his knee. I took the chance and started running towards safety.

When I reached Alexander he immediately shoved me behind him, not taking his eyes off my attacker.

"You okay? Did he hurt you?" He whispered. I shook my head and mumbled, "No. I'm okay." He gave a small nod. "Go to the man in the dark blue coat. He's the second in command. He'll keep you safe while I deal with this."

I glanced around and spotted the man he spoke of. He looked friendly. I turned back to Alexander and laid a hand on his arm. "Don't do anything either of us will regret." I whispered before walking away.

Men cleared a path, not taking their eyes away from the front. They all tensed as I passed. Alexander must've said something to them, since none of them looked at me.

I finally reached the second in command and he gave me a polite bow. "Chief mate Jonathan Williams, at your service, ma'am." I did a small curtsy. "Miss Y/N Schuyler." His eyes widened at my last name. "Schuyler?"

He thought for a moment before admiration filled his charcoal eyes. "I've heard tales of you! You, ma'am, are no 'Miss'. You're a captain!" I smiled nervously. So Jacob did spread that little information. It's not like it's formal; I'm a woman.

"Don't be so formal! Just call me Y/N. Please." He nodded before gesturing to the captain's quarters. "This way. For your safety."

I rolled my eyes but followed. Of course Alexander went all out. I didn't need to hide away. I just needed to be away from that monster.

I heard more conversation between Alexander and the man, though I couldn't make out the words.

I tapped the Chief mate's shoulder and he turned to me, hand hovering the door handle. "Yes?"

"What's that man's name? The one that found me." I asked quietly. His softness disappeared to disapproval towards the man. "Third mate. Too much of a title for such a small man, if you ask me." I laughed a bit and he cracked a smile.

I looked back towards Alexander to find him gone, the other crew members smiling evilly. Of course he was fighting.

I looked back to Williams and gave him a pleading look. "Please don't let him do anything stupid." I said. He gave me a small nod. "Promise."

I smiled and he opened the door, practically forcing me inside. I huffed when the door shut. I looked around the empty office and found a small chair. I walked over and sank down into it, sighing in boredom.