Twelve

I spat out my food into my bowl and Alexander choked on his. Laurens just looked at his wife, stunned.

"Pregnant?" He said, voice wavering a little. Martha nodded excitedly. I cleared my throat and said, "Thats wonderful! A family!" We all looked to Alexander, who just stared at me, panicked. I kicked him lightly and he blinked.

"A child! Thats such amazing news!" He said, sounding a bit forced. He hugged Laurens and I hugged Martha. "I'm so happy for you two!"

"I hope it's a girl!" Martha said, looking to her stomach.

Hoping for a girl? Unheard of! It was always "I want a boy so he can carry the name on!" Girls never had a chance in the world anyways. I would know, having experienced both worlds.

Laurens smiled and held his wife's hand. Alexander looked between them and I sighed. "It's getting late, we should start heading back."

We all stood and I hugged both of them. "We'll visit again soon! I promise!" I said when I let go.

I nudged Alexander and he nodded, shaking both their hands. "Goodnight!" I said as we left, shutting the door.

I immediately grabbed Alexander's hand, pulling him around the corner in an isolated alley. "Y/N, what are you-" He was interrupted by me hugging him. It took him a while, but he eventually hugged back.

"He's in love with someone else." He murmured. I almost gasped and felt guilt in me. Oh no, is this how my sisters felt?

I merely patted his back and he let go. "Let's head back."

We silently went to the inn and I went into the bathroom. I sat on the floor and held my head in my hands. "Is this why Elizabeth left?"

I started crying silently, tears sliding down my cheeks.

I've been pushing away my guilt for a long while, since before Alexander and I ran away. Now it was flooding to me and I couldn't stop it.

I ran away like a coward. I yielded when I said I never would.

I am Y/F/N Schuyler. Betrayer of family, Princeton dropout, unfaithful sister, ashamed daughter, belt buckler, captured by British scum. I did yield.

I heard someone knock and I sniffled, wiping my tears away. "Yes?" I managed out, my voice betraying me.

"Y/N, open the door." Alexander said quietly. "I-I'm uh, I'm bathing." I lied not-so-smoothly.

"Y/N." He said with a bit more force. I didn't want to see him now, I couldn't see him now. "Just leave me here, I'll be fine."

Someone knocking on our room door saved me. I heard him get up and walk away and I stood. I looked at myself in the mirror and wiped my eyes, returning them to pre-cry picture.

"Y/N, someone's here for us." Alexander said nervously. Oh no, this was the last thing I needed.

I took a breath and smoothed my skirts, opening the door.

I walked into the room and paused.

A pretty, brunette woman was standing there, Alexander looking between us. I glared at her red dress, very similar to my style.

"Y/N, I presume." She said. Her voice was soft and graceful, but I didn't think for a second that she was. "Who's asking?"

She extended a hand to me. "Maria Reynolds, it's an honor to meet you."

Cautiously, I shook her hand, stepping closer to Alexander. "Why are you here." I said sharply. "Y/N," Alexander whispered in warning.

Maria's sickly sweet smile faltered for a moment. "I'm here on behalf of my husband, James Reynolds."

I made a mental note of the name.

"You see, my husband runs a big position in Charleston and whenever a big name pops up, we want to greet them. Like you, Captain Hamilton." Alexander opened his mouth to correct her to use his name, but I stepped on his foot. He quickly shut his mouth.

Maria cleared her throat and went on, "We wanted to help you get on your feet. Get out of this little inn. We help soldiers the military places in this town."

Oh, like they helped Laurens and his wife so well?

"You were placed here, right Captain Hamilton?" Alexander nudged me curiously and I gave a very small nod. "Yes, we were."

Maria looked to me. "We? A woman?"

I fought back a retort. "I'm a hidden figure in the military. That's all you need to know."

She gave me an amused smirk. "And your last name?" I crossed my arms. "Nunya." She looked confused. "Nunya?" "Nunya business."

She immediately frowned. "Our business place is here. Come by tomorrow." She handed Alexander a card. "Have a good night, Captain." She ignored my presence and left, slightly slamming the door. I scoffed.

"We will not go to their business place tomorrow." I said, going to the bedroom. "Y/N, we need help to get on our feet."

I scoffed again. "Not from her. I don't trust her." I snapped. "Why? Because you two share the same wardrobe?" He fired back. I glared at him. "Because her husband isn't from Charleston."

He looked at me, confused. I rolled my eyes.

"When I was younger, I would listen to my father and his colleagues talk about important people for the war. James Reynolds was a common name. He lives in Albany, not Charleston."

"And if he found us so quickly, I believe my family can too."

Alexander hesitated to speak. "How about we go and feel them out?" He proposed. I groaned. "Fine."

He gave me a small smile and I grabbed my night gown, leaving to change.