Eleven

I waited for Alex to finish triple checking his outfit. It was cold and the sun was setting, Laurens' house only a few paces away.

"Alexander, you look great, promise." He looked at me nervously. "What could be the news?"

I sighed and shrugged. "I don't know, but they seem happy about it!"

I prayed that Martha wasn't pregnant. Not yet at least, Alexander wouldn't be able to handle such news right now. But maybe she's not, maybe it's something sensible!

Alexander nodded and cleared his throat. "Let's go, I'm ready."

I silently went to the house and knocked. I heard hushed voices before Martha opened the door, also in a new dress.

It was a pastel pink with ruffles at the bottom, a pastel blue waist apron tied atop it.

"Martha! Hello again!" I said, entering my social butterfly mode. We hugged and I walked past her. Laurens gave me a subtle nod, but I hugged him anyways.

He awkwardly hugged me and quickly let go. I stepped aside as the men shook hands.

"I'm almost done with dinner, why don't you two sit? John, help me?" Laurens was about to go, but I stepped between them. "I'd love to help! If it's not too much trouble."

Martha gave me a bright smile. "That'd be wonderful!" She added quietly, yet loud enough for the men, "John doesn't know his way around a kitchen."

We all laughed lightly and I followed the woman into the cozy little kitchen.

"Does Captain Hamilton-" I gave a friendly scoff and she paused. I quickly corrected myself. "You're his best friend's wife, Martha. Alexander is his name."

She smiled slightly. "Right. Does Alexander like beef? We're out of pork." I nodded, "Us both!"

Her smile brightened as she opened the pot on the small fire place, the smell of beef stew filling the room. My stomach rumbled, longing for a decent meal. A homemade one makes it all the better!

Martha looked at my stomach, then at me. Her mahogany brown eyes were filled with worry.

"I- uh, I mean well-" I sighed. "It's been a long while since I've had a proper meal." I tried counting how long in my head. A week? At least!

Martha gasped quietly and shook her head. "A young lady should never go hungry!"

I heart swelled at her kind words. "Well I will have every last bite of supper!" I said, trying to cover the sad mood I had created.

Martha nodded and took the pot off the fire, placing it on the floor in front of the flames. "Bowls are spoons are in the left drawer! It's not silverware, but it'll hold!"

I opened the drawer and found metal spoons, forks, and knives. Not silver, but far more cozy and homely.

I grabbed four spoons and four bowls from the cupboard below, placing them neatly on the counter. I handed a bowl it Martha to fill with soup.

"Grab the bread, one slice per serving please." I nodded and grabbed the half-loaf, which was going stale. Did the military really not help their soldiers when they relocated them?

I mean, this house was decent. Two bedrooms, kitchen and dining room in one, a bathroom, and a living room. But it was a bit run down. The military can do better, I know this for a fact.

"Y/N!" Martha called, bringing me back to reality. She had a full bowl extended to me. "Right! Sorry!" I grabbed the bowl and gave her an empty one, putting bread in the first.

"Martha?" I said quietly. "Yes dear?" I blinked. Dear? I had to be older than her by at least two years!

"If you don't mind me asking, what's the big news?"

She gave me a big smile as we exchanged bowls again. "Well, John was talking to General Washington a few days back, and he's getting promoted!"

"That's amazing!" I said, relieved. We exchanged the final bowl. "I know! He'll get paid more, we'll be more well off for the future too! And he'll stay home a bit more!"

She gave me the final bowl and I put bread in it. I gave them all spoons and we each grabbed two. "I'm so happy for you two!"

She smiled that signature smile and we headed into the living room. The men got awkwardly quiet and I knew they were probably arguing. Before Martha noticed, I broke the silence.

"Supper!" The two men took the bowls from each of us. "Smells delicious!" Laurens commented. Alexander quickly added, "Thank you, Martha. Y/N."

Martha and I gave a quick nod. I took a bite and almost gasped. God above, this was delicious! I missed this kind of food!

I took another bite, then another.

"So, when did you two arrive in Charleston?" Martha asked. Alexander looked at me, worried to say the wrong thing. Guess I'll be doing the talking.

I swallowed my food before answering, "A few days ago, we're staying at an inn down the road currently."

Martha nodded, glancing to her husband nervously. What was wrong?

Alexander cleared his throat quietly and I looked to him. He widened his eyes, then looked at Martha. Right, the news!

"So, Martha. John. What's the news you have for us?" Laurens coughed a bit but his wife smiled. "Well, why don't you tell them John?"

His blue eyes widened but he lowered his bowl. "I am getting a promotion! Better money, more home time too." Alexander blinked. "That's....wonderful! That's amazing, John. I'm happy for the both of you."

Something was off, something I'll ask about at the inn.

Martha gave an excited noise and we all looked at her. "I'm sorry, but I can'd hide it anymore! I'm pregnant!"