Twenty-Five

The rain persisted all day, dampening the mood of the crew. Well, most of the crew. Laurens, Korsman, and I didn't care because we didn't have to leave the barracks, Washington's indirect "thank you" for saving our ship.

"Are you sure this is your first time playing?" Korsman asked angrily, staring at his cards. I nodded insistently, explaining, "I only watched my father play cards when I was young! He never taught me."

"That's why!" Lauren's exclaimed, gaining even Korsman's attention away from his surely pitiful hand. "I've played poker with your father before, Y/N, and he is one of the greatest I've played! You learned from the best!" I dismissed the praise with a wave, though I couldn't stop the small grin.

"Waiting on you, Harry," Laurens said, changing the subject. The brunet smiled slightly, though it didn't meet his eyes as he said, "Raise," and slid another bread roll into our small pile.

I looked to Lauren's, still struggling to reveal his tell. Korsman's was a trashy fake smile, which was a shame because he's a smart player otherwise.

"Fold," he scowled out, laying his cards down. Okay, just me and Korsman. "Showdown already!" The blond beside us snapped jokingly, trying to wear one of us thin. I picked at the skin on my lip, a mask I created. I had a great hand, but not a sure winner.

Korsman showed his cards and I blinked in surprise. Full house. Close, but not close enough.

I watched with a winning grin as I revealed my four of a kind, both men swearing enough to curdle milk. "How do you do it?! You've one twice now!" Korsman exclaimed, gathering the cards to shuffle. I shrugged, replying, "Just a gift."

It was a lie. I could see Korsman's cards on the reflection from the glass lantern hanging only two paces away. Laurens just sucks at lying.

"Cruel woman! What can't you do?" I scoffed lightly, remembering how many times I asked my elder sisters that question. "Too much," I murmured automatically to myself, thankfully quiet enough that they couldn't hear.

"Supper you three," a sailor snapped from outside of the door. "Already?" I asked as I gathered the rolls under my pillow. "I guess, do you think it's still pouring?" Laurens asked as he stepped aside, letting me hop off of my bed.

His answer was when Korsman opened the door, the only sound being the pour of rain.

"I don't think so," Korsman mused sarcastically. I flicked his ear as I ran out, ducking into the kitchen nearby. "Rude!" He laughed out, following Laurens out after me.

The dining hall was way louder than I had expected. "Ladies first," Korsman said with a slight bow, gesturing that I get my food first. "Oh, right. Laurens, go ahead," I teased, earning my own flick as the blond strut forward.

"You're just mad my hair is better," he teased as he grabbed a bowl of porridge. "Whatever helps you sleep at night," I mused back, earning a playful glare.

I grabbed my own food, following Laurens down the counter and line. "How far north are we going?" I asked nervously, hoping to stay well away from Albany.

"No clue, ask the general when you see him again," Korsman said, mouth already full of the apple he snatched. "Ask me what?"

We all turned in unison behind Korsman, finding Washington in line for food like the rest of us. "Was- erm, General!" I quickly corrected. "Hello Y/N, what did you want to ask?" Korsman took the chance and swapped spots in line with me, grabbing the very glass I was reaching for. Turd.

"How far north are we going?" I asked as casually as I could, avoiding looking at him.

"If you're asking if we're docking at Albany, we aren't, Y/N. Nor any neighboring sea cities." I tried not to visibly relax as I grabbed a pint of ale, following after Korsman and Laurens. "Oh okay, thank you," I said as I quickly walked away.

When I reached the boys, they awkwardly shushed each other. "Hey Y/N!" Laurens blurted, Korsman rolling his eyes before elbowing him.

"What did you two idiots do?" I asked suspiciously. "Nothing, we were just waiting for you," Laurens said quickly, earning a glare from Korsman. "You lie horribly, John," Korsman muttered, biting his apple again.

"We were just talking about how Washington used your first name," he admitted, looking at me from the corner of his eyes. "Oh, that."

They both stared at me, waiting for an explanation.

"You know my father and Washington are friends, and I am kinda friends with his son. That's all."

Laurens scoffed and asked, "That's all? The best soldier in the entire Patriot army is like your uncle!" I glared at the blond, earning his tongue being stuck out a me. "Childish," Korsman muttered. I looked up at him, smirking evilly before I grabbed his apple core and dropped it in his ale. "Hey!"

Laurens and I howled with laughter, Korsman flicking beer at both of us. "I'm sailing with children," he grumbled.

"Okay, grandpa!" I teased.

He was about to bark something back when the dining hall door slammed open, the entire room silencing.

In the doorway, drench from the rain, stood a loyalist general, pistol aimed at a frightened sailor. "Give me your captain."