Twenty-Four

I assigned myself the job of organizing the cargo below deck because honestly, it was a horrendous mess. Barrels and crates were scattered around, the chickens and hens were in the way back and hard to get to!

It took a solid half hour, but I got it done.

Dusting my hands off, I admired my work. "Not to shabby, Schuyler," I praised to myself. I was about to start a new job when I heard shouts from the helm.

I raced up the stairs frantically, finding everyone rushing around, some with swords drawn. "What's happening?" I asked, grabbing a passing young sailor. His eyes went wide at my hand's grip in my arm, stammering, "U-Uh, you should erm, get below deck or, or the barracks!"

I frowned and repeated the question, sterner. "It was a loyalist fleet you saw and the current and wind pushed us too close to turn back." He clamped his free hand over his mouth, like he had just spilled a secret.

"Finally," I breathed, letting him go. "Wait! The general wants you safe!" He explained as I grabbed a sword from a small barrel of them. Spares for if waves throw ours into sea.

Slowly, I turned to Washington, who was shouting orders to everyone. "I'm safe with myself, thanks. Go get ready." He swallowed nervously before running to go do his job.

I walked up to Washington, stopping at the bottom of the helm. "You want me hidden away?!"

"Not now, Y/N! Please, I can't argue with you! Just go below!" I crossed my arms, careful of the blade in my hand. "No! I'm fighting!" I argued, taking the cap off of a random passerby and hiding my hair. "See! I'm a man!"

He scowled and sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Fine! Don't play hero like before!" I cheered and ran to get ready, the men on the other boat within eyesight now.

"Wills! Get down and help, you fool!" Washington snapped. I watched in amusement as the sailor struggled to get down, the mast shaking randomly. He cursed as his foot slipped and I laughed, his eyes darting to me. "Oh shut it, girl!" I raised my eyebrows and waited for him to be on his feet before walking up to him.

"I may be a girl, but I've seen worst than a pesky, foul mouthed boy." He stuck his tongue at me before storming off.

"Be ready to board or be boarded!" Washington shouted. I tugged my hat down tighter and raised my sword, two men manning each cannon. "On my mark!"

The cannons loaded and I plugged my ears, squinting as I braced for the sound. "Surrender or die!" The other boat's captain shouted, sword aimed at Washington. Our general swung his hand down in a line and the cannons fired right into the side of the other boat.

Everyone sprung into frantic running as ropes swung and boards were laid down, men crossing both ways. I ran and crossed onto the other boat, shouting nonsense like everyone else.

Immediately, I was clashing swords with a loyalist sailor. "Surrender, patriot filth!" He hissed, jabbing for me. I slid to the side, swiping his sword away. "Join or die!" I shouted, every patriot echoing "Join or die!"

The loyalist gave a yell and swiped for my neck. I hissed and staggered back, the blade nicking my shoulder. I grasped the small wound, glaring at him. "You're gonna regret that," I threatened, swiping and jabbing randomly and nonstop.

Panic crossed his eyes as he stepped back, struggling to dodge the blows. "You think I'm scared of a little patriot? Are you upset about some tea and sugar? Aw, boohoo!"

I faked a crying face, still swinging as I countered, "Are you all upset about having to make your own choices? Aw, is he scared to be a big boy?" He glared and spat at my feet. I took the rage as a distraction and swung hard and close to his hand, the sword clattering in a new direction as it hit the floor.