Thirteen

Alexander and I bickered for a bit more after I got into my night gown, but I ended it with an excuse of being tired after a long day.

Now, Alexander was on the right side of the bed and I was on the left. He fell asleep about an hour ago, leaving me to my thoughts.

Maria and James Reynolds, huh? I didn't like her. She found us too easily and I definitely didn't like how she looked at Alexander. The low eyes, slow speaking, my signature red dress.

I sighed and turned, my back to Alexander. There was no way I was letting him walk right into their plans.

I sat up and looked out the window. Dark sky, freckled with stars of various brightness and size. A half moon shone, a ring of clouds around it. If I remember right, that meant a storm was coming.

I got out of bed and grabbed a dark dress with black lace over the skirts and bodice. I quietly slipped it on, plaiting my hair before leaving the inn.

I managed to walk around unnoticed for the time being. Good, I needed some privacy.

I never realized how much I missed this, walking around town in the dark. This was how I met Levi.

I almost laughed aloud. When I meant Levi, things were easy then. My biggest issue was getting caught sneaking out, C/N and I were happy as could be, our family was whole.

The mention of C/N alone made my scars burn. I don't know why. I found out C/N was a triple agent after all, so why did it still hurt?

Maybe it was the fact that he chose his life, his undercover position, over me. Maybe it was because I couldn't manage to kill him myself, even if he would obviously be willing to risk me.

"Hey! Watch it, girl!" A man snapped when I accidentally bumped into him. I staggered back and he stopped in his tracks. I kept my head down and stared at his dusty black boots.

He stepped closer and I held my ground. "Pardon me, didn't realize I was in the presence of a lady." He said in a sultry tone. Oh yeah, definitely believable when that girl title you spewed earlier.

He raised a hand to lift my chin up and I smacked it away. He chuckled and moved again. Another smack. His chuckle turned forced.

"Never seen a lady be so...inconvenienced by a man's attention." He said slowly.

I raised my head to look at him and I froze. It was Thomas, Amanda's former fiancé! He blinked and narrowed his eyes.

"You look familiar." He said quietly. I forced a cough and shook my head. "I don't know why, I've never met you. I would've remembered." I said in the sweetest tone I could muster. If he remembered me as a crazy lady with a knife, this should throw him off.

He squinted and I stepped back to move around him.

"What's a lady like you doing around here so late?" He asked suspiciously yet flirtatiously. Wasn't he engaged to Amanda's sister?

I sighed in irritation. "I'm going to my husband's house." I lied flatly. He raised an eyebrow. "I don't remember Y/F/N Schuyler having a husband."

Well shit.

I stumbled back and he smirked triumphantly. "I seem to remember her holding a dagger to my neck and taking my fiancée away. Gave me this!" He craned his neck and I saw a thin scar.

I laughed nervously and stepped back again. "Let's not hold grudges!" I said quickly. He pulled a knife and I went pale.

"Thomas, let's think here. My father will come for you! My friends, family! Fiancé! Amanda herself!" I stepped back again and he stepped forward. I started scanning ways to flee and fast.

I found an alleyway and darted down in, gathering my skirts. I heard Thomas chasing me and I tried to run faster.

I started running for the place I knew I was safe: John Laurens' house.

"I'll cut you like you did me, girl! Except I won't be scared to go through your neck!"

I felt tears prick as exhaustion occurred, yet I pushed through. I have survived Hell and back. No way I'm letting this low life get me!

I finally reached the residential area, though I could hear Thomas at my heels. "I'll have my way with you before I kill you, of course." He threatened. I felt a familiar anxiety come up at the mention of what he wanted to do to me. The redcoats and the burning house.

I started slowing when I felt my throat close up at the flashbacks, but I forced myself forward.

There! Lauren's house!

I pushed and pushed, swooping down to pick up a rock before tossing it over my shoulder. I heard a thump before Thomas cursed and I knew I bought myself some time.

I finally reached the house and started beating the door. "Laurens! Martha! Please!"

I looked and saw Thomas stand, half his face bloody. "Bitch!"

I felt tears fall as I pounded with my fist. "John! It's Y/N! I'm gonna die if you don't open!"

Thomas started running for me the second the door opened and I fell in, crumbling to the floor in tears.