Chapter 31

The next few classes passed by and I found myself in the locker room getting dressed for gym. I was about to head out to the actual gym when a blond girl ran up to me.

"Your Leslie, right?" She asked me.

"Yeah." I answered her.

"Who are you?" I asked her.

"Oh sorry, my name is Chrissy Cunningham." She told me.

"What can I do for you Chrissy Cunningham?" I asked her.

"I saw you dancing at the party with Nancy and Steve." She said and I couldn't figure out what point she was trying to make.

"Yeah so." I said to her.

"Sorry I seem like a total weirdo right now. Let me start again. Hi my name is Chrissy and I'm on the Cheer Squad. We're down a girl because of an injury that is going to keep her out the rest of the year. We're looking to fill her spot and you're a really good dancer. We're holding tryouts at gym today and I think you should give it a go." She told me with a smile on her face the entire time.

"I have never cheered before." I told her.

"It doesn't matter, most of it is just being able to pick up the steps. And you don't have to worry about the gymnastics of it all. Not all of the girls can flip." She told me.

"Actually at my old school I was a gymnast." I told her.

"See, you would be a great fit." She said she seemed very excited.

"I don't know." I answered her.

"What do you have to lose? Worse case you don't make the team and nothing changes. Best case you make the team and make some new friends. On the plus side we practice every gym class so it counts as a gym credit and you're excused from all the lame gym activities." She explained.

"Well you should have started there " I told her, causing her to laugh.

"So does that mean you will try out?" She asked.

"If it gets me out of playing basketball, definitely." I answered her.

"Great, see you out there." She said and then practically skipped away.

Well she seems nice. Nicer than all the other girls who only ever want to talk about Billy.

I finished getting ready and walked out with the rest of the stragglers.

Once I was in the gym I saw that most kids were already involved in some sort of activity. I scanned the room and saw the tryouts at the far end of the gym. It looked like they had some area marked off for them.

I also noticed the people closest to me were playing basketball. It took me all of two seconds to find Billy playing with his shirt off. He was wearing the dark green gym shorts leaving his glising chest and abs exposed to every girl in the area. Most were shamelessly staring, I noticed Chris in the corner talking to her friends while they all stared at him. I rolled my eyes and was about to walk over to Chrissy who was waving at me from across the room when I noticed how he was playing with. Steve had the ball and was dribbling it trying to get around Billy. Both the coaches stood in the back and watched intently as the two played. I wondered if Billy was going to join the team. If I got on the cheer squad it would be cheering him on at all the games. That could be fun, I told myself as I watched like everyone else.

Steve tried to go around him but Billy blocked him by slamming his shoulder into Steve's back. Steve was trying to move around Billy but Billy was not giving up any ground or letting Steve around him.

"Herrington, right?" Billy asked him as if he already didn't know. "I heard you used to run this school. That true?"

Steve didn't answer, he continued to focus on the game and try to get around Billy which at this point I did not think was going to happen.